Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silica sand for heat retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silica sand for heat retention?

I'm thinking of slapping in a bit more mass into my pit. Anyone ever tried silica sand? I'm thinking of building a sealed stainless container to serve as a heat diffuser (convection) device and packing it with silica sand for heat retention. I haven't exactly worked out the specifics yet.

Post some pics of your pit. What do you have? Reverse flow, standard flow, insulated cabinet?If pits are heavy enough guage they retain the heat inside and less is dispersed through the outside of the smoker.
    A weld blanket may resolve some of your problems.

Comment

I know some folks put it in the water bowls of their WSMs and similar. I've personally never tried sand. One thing I've found through nudging from Jerod Broussard was insulating my firebox (on cold days in winter) worked wonders. I just laid some thick unfaced (no paper) R-19 fiberglass batting over my firebox and I was quite surprised to see how much heat that retained even in my cooking chamber. Just sharing this is case it's something you hadn't thought about.

Comment

That's a very good idea.

Comment

DanielMelancon just don't cover the firebox lid handle (if you have a flip top lid). You'll only do it once!

Comment

Are you truly looking for heat retention, or are you looking for insulation? I ask because they are two different concepts. For example thick gauge steal can be good for heat retention, but lousy for insulation. Air on the other hand is a great insulator, but lousy with heat retention.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here