Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't stickburners over smoke meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't stickburners over smoke meat?

If Meathead recommends using 8 ounces of wood on my Weber Kettle, why do ribs from stickburners not taste over smoked?

Thanks

Because there's a lot more airflow in a stickburner.

Comment

They can if you don't control the smoke and like billg71 you do that by controlling the air flow.

Comment

Airflow but also the quality of the smoke. When using chunks to smoke on kettles and kamdos and the like they are smoldering and not really burning.

With a stickburner there are actual flames that help combust the smoke and create a much cleaner smoke.

Comment

Got it. Thanks guys.

Comment

Also, most will not put in meat until the logs are reduced to embers. Then a single small log at a time. More here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...with_wood.html

Comment

I know with my Lang I have to let it get good and warmed up before I put any meat in it and most of the time the smoke coming out of the smoke stack is almost clear so I know I have good combustion in the firebox. At least that is the way Ben Lang tells you how to do it on the Lang website. I have not had any over smoked come out of it yet but the smoke flavor is a lot better and more intense than I get from my pellet smokers.

Comment

Blue smoke and foil
                no problems

Comment

This video with Dr. Greg Blonder is a fantastic source of information as well. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...g-runs-1-38-47

Comment

I would guess that some people, in learning their gear, do oversmoke in a stick burner.

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was guilty of that until I found AR

When you think you over smoked the meat. You actually had a period of time that the wood was not burning at the proper temp range. If you let your wood smolder it will give you a bitter smoke taste from creosote and other gasses that are released when your wood is just smoldering. That is usually what is mistaken to be over smoked.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here