Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mods for a COS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mods for a COS

Hey guys so i picked up a COS and I have started to do some mods on it. I am looking to put a baffle in it and was looking for suggestions on what kind of metal to use how to shape it how to attach it. Pretty much any suggestions from guys who have traveled this route. Thanks in advance

You doing just a basic baffle or a baffle for reverse flow?

Comment

Don't know what kind of COS you picked up but in addition to the baffle I would recommend sealing it up pretty good.

This site has some pre made kits for a number of popular COS... the also have individual things like baffles, seals, latches, etc...

BBQ smoker mod kits smoker parts custom cooker pit barbeque modification parts. High temp FDA gaskets & adhesives, hinges, handles grill grates hardware fire box basket baffle plate charcoal basket

Comment

I have already sealed it and I am thinking about making it a reverse flow so I know I need to go all the way across on the baffle and move the chimney to the side by the firebox

Comment

Let me ask the obvious question, what do you want to achieve?

Comment

I want to get even heat across the whole cooking chamber and am in between on whether to make it a reverse flow or not

Comment

I didn't feel like messing with tuning plates so I went with reverse flow. I place two small loaf pans filled with water on the plate right next to firebox, and temps will be almost even.

You are always going to be hotter right next to the firebox, even the owner of Jambo Pits will tell you that.

Comment

• Mikelowandslow
                Mikelowandslow commented
                Editing a comment
                How much of a difference are we talking? I understand that you will always be hotter next to the fire box but I'd like to try and stay between 5-15 at the most

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have any pics posted that show your mods, Jerod Broussard?

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll get some when I get home.

Mikelowandslow, The first mod I did on my COS was line the Firebox and Cook Chamber! Then I had my Furnace shop shear some 20Ga. SS sheet Metal one to divert the heat and smoke from the Firebox across the Cook Chamber the second plate runs from the Chimney Side of the lid back toward the Firebox! This is what I have done to date! I had an accident and haven't checked the Temp Ranges across the grill but I think by looking at the Ribs it's running fairly uniform! There also is a section on Meathead's AR Homepage on different COS Mods others have made! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 16, 2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice job, Danjohnston949! What did you use for that baffle plate?

DEW

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dewesq55, I apolgize I missed your question earlier! 20 Ga SS Sheet Metal, my furnace man sheared to width
                and length and then through Brake and formed like an inverted W w/a straight center and feet! Hope this helps!
                If you need more info just ask! Dan

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I really like that exhaust channel mount in the lid. Very cool!

Mikelowandslow I can have it easily within 10 degrees at the worst. If you fill it up with corn that has been soaked in water it gets totally even all across the board. That was an eye opener.

I also have a welding blanket on top the smoke box, gaskets sealing the smoke box, and now an insulated firebox with 1-2" of 2400 degree ceramic insulation wrapped around it.

Comment

Personally I'm more of a fan of the tuning plates because I like the ability to have heat fluctuation from side to side (i know I'm an odd ball)... but the reason I like it is that I tend to cook multiple kinds of proteins at the same time. I personally like to run poultry at a higher tempt than say pulled pork so it gives me that versatility.

That being said.... reverse flows are nice too and I wouldn't mind to own a big meadow creek T-250 smoker... All comes down to personal pref...

to be honest I'm in the process of trying to design a pull behind unit right now and am struggling on which way to go between reverse and traditional offset.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I fully agree. If I had a BIG offset it would have no baffles and no plates and no reverse flow, just a bunch of air going through like a Jambo with the entrance to the smoke box at grate level.

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't forget to put an air vent on the front. That way, if your cook is behind schedule, a short tow at 60 -70 mph will get 'er done fast... (Am I smart or what??)
                  Last edited by RonB; April 16, 2016, 06:01 PM.

The mods on my new offset pit are coming along well.

Firebox door gasket. Sealed the seam between the 2 halvs of the firebox. Charcoal Basket
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ProShot_20160418_183000.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	158185

3/4" black iron pipe drain with ball valve

Name:	ProShot_20160418_185042.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	158186

Name:	ProShot_20160418_185110.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	158187

Baffle and tuning plates from 16 gauge steel.

Name:	ProShot_20160418_182746.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	158188

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here