Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson Custom Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson Custom Smoker

Good Day,
    Anyone run one of these?
    Looking for tips or any input.
    I took on a job as pitmaster as the original guy had a falling out with partner/owner.
    In 2 days had 8 brisket and 8 pork butts , Chicken thighs , pans of beans and mac n cheese.
    Seems to go thru alot of wood to keep at least 250f.
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1347643

That’s a beast of a cooker! I have no advice. Just admiration for anyone who can successfully run one of these. Smoke on Pitmaster.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Not claiming title yet...

That's a lot of steel to heat up. I was looking at one without the vertical chamber and insulating the firebox myself.

Comment

Yowzer! One big cooking machine. Congrats and good cookin!

Comment

That's one badazz cooker! What kind of wood are you using?

Comment

• PNWsmoke
          PNWsmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          mix as best I can tell alder, maple, apple. fir maybe.

Today was my 3rd full day.
        Learning the smoker better each day.
        20 degree diff between ends.
        Pork belly burnt ends today special.
        Was pretty good for first time on strange smoker. Click image for larger version

Name:	69335347903__25D72C51-0EC6-4C7E-82C6-7AB09F78A40E.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1348168

Comment

• Clawbear57
          Clawbear57 commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep it up pit master in training😊.

• tamidw
          tamidw commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great to me.

Almost quit after first day.
        Standing for most of 10 hrs day washing
        Dishes, trimming meat, serving customers, tending the steel beast, chopping wood ugh, Im 61 what was I thinking?
        Oh yeah wife said I had to get a job after my last fishing trip.

Comment

Originally posted by PNWsmoke View Post
          Almost quit after first day.
          Standing for most of 10 hrs day washing
          Dishes, trimming meat, serving customers, tending the steel beast, chopping wood ugh, Im 61 what was I thinking?
          Oh yeah wife said I had to get a job after my last fishing trip.

Yeah... this is what I think of every.single.time someone tries my BBQ and says, "Damn, this is great! You should open up a restaurant/BBQ truck/etc.!"

No thanks!

Most I expect ever to do is a few popups or some light catering jobs.

Comment

Question for the community:
            How would you cook day before and reheat Prime rib roast 5 lb?
            Thanks

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh wow... ouch, that's a tough one. I dunno about how to reheat a rib roast without overcooking it or drying it out. Good luck, man. I'm sure someone here will chime in with some good ideas!

• PNWsmoke
              PNWsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks
              Boss wants to be able to reheat to medium rare.
              We tried a test run pulled at 120f then sat on counter rose to 125. Then cooled in the walk in. She was going to try to reheat at home.
              Will find out this Morning.

• Rob whatever
              Rob whatever commented
              Editing a comment
              Re-heat in a 200 degree oven u til desired internal temp is reached.

Sous vide. Chill then bag it. Reheat at 131

Comment

• PNWsmoke
              PNWsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Sous vide not happening today.
              Thanks

Congrats to you on such a cool job! You are a pro. I'd like to say I want that job but definitely not full time. I've learned I do not enjoy things I do full time, there's always a handful of reasons, and I prefer to enjoy running my cookers. I have no great suggestions as I've not run a stickburner that size, other than the obvious- do what it takes and pay attention as you go and it will soon enough become second nature to you. Use the temp differential in your favor. Congrats!

Comment

• PNWsmoke
              PNWsmoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Really gives insight to daily pitmastering.
              Job is kicking my ass.
              Standing 10 hours a day with very small breaks to sit. logged 2.7 miles average back and forth.
              Chopping wood and feeding the fire. Smoker needs maintenance fire management not good. Some of the wood not dry all the way.
              Had 1 day off last week which was nice.
              If I was 20 years younger...

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              PNWsmoke Wow, what are the chances you can get a small wood splitter there, since it's for a business. That, and properly seasoned firewood, seems a proper investment for a business of the sort.

Does it really have to be cooked day before? Rare-medrare 5ld ribroast is less the 2 hours away .

Comment

Merry Christmas All,
              I have been wearing an apron at work as can get messy at times.
              I have 2 solid color ones.
              Looking for cool or funny but not to vulgar, Boss may or may not think its funny.
              Still on the fence as to keep working here

Comment

If you have a warmer that will go down to 120you could hold it there overnight, but that might not please the health department.

You could also cook them like a brisket and hold them over night at 170 like a lot of places do with brisket.

If you make it a special weekly or monthly offering I’m sure you could play around a find some other ways to make something work.

Comment

• PNWsmoke
                  PNWsmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for mentioning the holding brisket overnight in hot box.
                  I am having a hard time with this practice which they use here.
                  Normal for me cook to probe tender then hold for a few hours then serve.
                  Is it common to cook then finish overnight in hot box?

Put in my 2 week notice.
                let me go after half day the next day.
                that smoker needs major clean or replaced or I don’t know what I’m doing. Too much tending to keep at temp.

Comment

• CHNeal
                  CHNeal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a feeling this wasn’t a long term job for you brother. Chalk it up to some great experience and a fun memory and move on.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here