Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do smoke collectors make a difference???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do smoke collectors make a difference???

For those who have run an offset, I'm really interested in those who have run multiples, preferably with and without a smoke collector.

If you don't know what I mean, I mean a box like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1962
Size:	731.5 KB
ID:	1326929
    or this...

Views:	1741
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	1326930

Views:	1942
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	1326932​​

As opposed to a curved elbow or 90 notched tube like these:

Views:	1666
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1326931
    Or like this:

Views:	1730
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	1326933

I know curved and larger exhausts will help some with laminar flow, but the question is, in actual practice, does a collector chamber coming off the end of the cook chamber, which then empties into the exhaust, actually make a difference in how a smoker runs?

Jeremy Yoder did an experiment with a Fat Stack with a collector, then packed that collector full of foil to take up the space and 'simulate' a straight exhaust - he was using a thermal imager/FLIR unit which gave him temps of the metal, and he didn't see any real difference. I don't think this tells me much about the actual utility of the apparatus, however.

I'm just curious about you guys' real world experiences.

I would want a curved pipe in conjunction with a collector. I hate requiring airflow to do a 90 if trying to get a good pull across the smoker. Plus more welding on a collector.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Just get some plates and start burning. Build something small to start.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, I think the welding is the fun part. What type of welder are you going to use? DogFaced PonySoldier

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Borrowed a Lincoln AC225 for now.

I am not sure about the airflow, but I would like to have the little bit of extra space at the end of the cook chamber. If it is loaded down, the food you put at the very end, next to the stack tends to sit right up next to the metal. The smoke box might offer a little bit of wiggle room. Plus, they look cool.

I am curious to hear about what others say regarding the airflow.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      Editing a comment
      I've seen a couple where the racks aren't incorporated into the collector, and a couple where they are, offering some extra rack space.

Hell, I saw one today where they actually had a low grate down BELOW the normal grate level, they said that one ran around 150ºF and was a perfect spot to use as a warming rack! Now that's an idea, if you ask me...

That stick burner is good for thick stuff. I'm only messing with 11 gauge/1/8" stuff so my 125 flux core does just fine.

Comment

Did find a little bit of discussion, but was only minimally helpful:

Comment

Here is a video Mad Scientist Jeremy Yoder did on smoke collectors. It's pretty good but around the 4:55 mark he shows the pit with a infrared thermometer. It looks to me like the collector is pulling a lot of heat/smoke from the entire left side of the Fatstack cooker. Which makes sense to me if you are putting a wide lead in to the stack it will pull a lot of heat out on that end. He calls it some "artifact of the surface" but it is easy to see what is going on. I would like to see someone put some thermometers on the grate on the left side to get a better reading.

It may not matter much at the end of the day but this engineer would like to see a little more info. Check out the video and let me know your opinion.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that is the video I referenced in my original post. That is the one that got me thinking about this 'trend' in the last few years - yes, it's the latest, most popular thing, but does it actually help is what I am wondering.

• Redwng
          Redwng commented
          Editing a comment
          After thinking about this and watching Jeremy's video (a few times) I see where it makes a difference but not in a good way. It appears to pull too much air/smoke out of that side at grate level which I would expect once you start getting a draw through the stack.

I mean, if you don't have a smoke collector, how are you going to bottle it and sell it? HMM??

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Liquid Smoke is collected smoke from a smoke collector.
          Got a bottle in my cupboard as part of my smoke collection.

I think they might.

Comment

Not sure about the width but I can say that forcing the smoke down before it goes out the chimney really helps keep stable even temps in the chamber, end to end, of my stumpy offset

Comment

On my hemispherical tank ends I have #18 Ga sheetmetal that runs down against the rack guides to block the airflow at the top part of the chamber, so it draws from under it. Then mount the chimney stack to the top part of the tank end. Much easier and cheaper to fabricate and does the same job. Also ran these elbows as I got a deal on the pipe and curves.
            As I said. What you find at the scrap metal yard may dictate how you build it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Interesting thread you know, but I guess, I'll go with the flow.

Comment

I kind of lean to them being a fad, not overly helpful, though they can look impressive. If it comes down to it, I don't think they are harmful, and with our flat-sided tank, building one shouldn't be too big a problem. So like Ahumadora says, it may come down to what we have readily available and isn't too expensive - I've read that those large diameter 90-degree elbows in 6-8" steel can be quite high - I don't want to pay $200-300 just for that single part.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier FYI.....Noticed today that Chuds BBQ on YouTube, he built his own offset with the smoke collector. I know nothing about offsets. He may have a video about his build.
                  Last edited by Purc; November 15, 2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    Editing a comment
                    I was on Chud's livestream last night, and I asked him about my question - but he didn't answer it. Of course, there were only 600 other people on the livestream high-fiving him and generally chatting and such. I didn't find the livestream particularly informative, it wasn't so much a Q&A like I was hoping, more of just a social hour.

I had a COS that I converted into a reverse flow model with a plate in the bottom of it. I moved the chimney to the other end to complete that transformation. Then when it came time to buy a big offset, I only looked at designs that were reverse flow. My current smoker is reverse flow and I love the flavor I get out of it.

That doesn't do anything to answer your question, but building reverse flow might be something to consider :-)

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    Editing a comment
                    mrteddyprincess I did consider reverse flow and have come to the conclusion that this can be helpful, especially in smaller smokers, but there aren't a whole lot of large reverse flow smokers. It also adds to the complexity and weight, both of which are factors for us. How big is your reverse flow offset?

• mrteddyprincess
                    mrteddyprincess commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's the 48 inch Lang Deluxe Patio. (And as far as I know, all of the Lang's, regardless of length, are reverse flow.) I'm not saying that's superior, just saying it's an option...I am so loving reading about your journey in this build!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here