Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shirley Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirley Smokers

All right boys I am three Vespers deep after watching the last James Bond movie and I am ready to put a deposit on a Shirley smoker. Anyone here have one? Anyone want to talk me out of it? LOL.

Congrats

Comment

Not sure what it has to do with James Bond, but I say go for it! I’ve heard tons of great things about Shirley’s. Are you getting their traditional reverse flow or their new direct flow?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory I was just more curious. I’m not an offset guy (yet), but Shirley, LSG, or Workhorse would likely be my choices if I did. Shirley has done well with reverse flow and built quite a reputation. It sounds like they just finally added direct after numerous requests.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy I think reverse flow is their Jam. I didn't even know they made a direct flow.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory reverse is their thing for sure. I don’t even know if they advertise their direct flow and there might be only the one I know of in the wild yet. One of the other forums I glance at occasionally has a large Shirley following.

I have the patio model,,,,,,I love it,,,
      thing makes me look like a pro,,,,
      my troop of bbq afficiandos always ask,,,,what are ya smokin next,,,, Click image for larger version

Name:	3C9D2EB6-74A4-48D3-80EE-7D5B3C9DECC7.jpeg
Views:	2464
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1133330 Click image for larger version

Name:	09A58D28-1695-4F36-B7AA-E4D15A9F72A1.jpeg
Views:	2194
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1133331

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! That is the one I am looking at.

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 I also have the 24x36 patio model. The build quality it top notch. I was not able to find anything that matches it for the price. It is reverse flow if your are cool with that. It holds temps like a champ & the due to the design the patio model hold an huge amount food for a backyard model.

Now is the time to strike!!

Comment

Yessir! And you can call it Shirley!

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          And I am serious...lol.

Check out fam_eats on YouTube,,,,,
        the guy has done numerous vids on cooking on his Shirley and was one of the reasons I bought one
        Last edited by Greygoose; November 27, 2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely follow Scott and check out his videos. He is one one of the reasons I bought my Shirley. His video are full of great info. There are also 2 FB groups you can join. Fans of Shirley Fabrication & Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Owners. Both groups are great and respond to any questions you may have.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi thanks for the tip on fam_eats He is definitely kicking up my MCS.

Why would you want to smoke a Shirley? What did she ever do to you?
        But seriously, go for it. They have a great reputation.

Comment

I am glad to see you put lol at the end of your post. Cause none of these enablers will try to talk you out of spending dollars on Shirley.

By the way did you order it yet? What the heck are you waiting for

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            "Enablers" ?!??!? We're just trying to help. 😆

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Email sent. Waiting for reply on Monday.

Give Kevin White a call for a shipping quote.
          He ,at times, will order a few units to have on hand to fill out a trailer load and may have a unit available on a shorter time line if you are going to have it shipped up to the NE.
          They are new units and he doesn’t mark up the cost.

Comment

Heard back from Tyler. They are moving to a new shop location and have close orders for a few months. I'm in no big rush but that is a little bit of a bummer. Would put it like 8-10 months out.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep an eye out on FB and elsewhere for a good used one? I mean, 8+ months puts it at the middle-end of next summer.

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Join the FB groups I mentioned above as there are constantly folks selling different Shirley cookers. That is how I got mine. For what its worth shipping is going to be in the neighborhood of $1K. If you can find a used one that you can pick up it will save you a bunch.

Checkin with Kevin White,,,,,he may surprise you as he did me,,,,
            When I had called Tyler he was 8-12 weeks and I talked to the transportation company for a shipping quote and he had an available unit on order and and I had my Shirley delivered in 6 weeks,,,
            might be worth a try

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              Will call tomorrow. Thanks!

I had the 24x42 patio cabinet model with the warmer, but I sold it to a guy in MS. Too much smoker for a family of four, and it was a pain to move in and out of my garage. I enjoyed cooking on it and learned what I liked and didn't like in an offset. First, I wasn't in love with the welded in baffle plate and the reverse flow design. Their design makes accessing the cook chamber difficult for cleaning creosote (most guys improvise and use a hoe or have Shirley supply a cleaning tool shaped to clean the belly), and I would prefer removable tuning plates on a traditional offset pit. Cooked like a dream, though, and the warming cabinet with optional baffle made it a really versatile cooker. With the warming cabinet you can create different temperature zones. Lots of cooking space and there's nothing really like it on the market. Also, the square firebox tends to collect ash in the corners - minor nit but I think I'd prefer a round firebox with gas assist, which is what I just ordered from Gator Pit of Texas. Order the ash pan and upgrade the wheels if you plan on moving it around at all. Tyler and Paul don't do gas assist. That said, the firebox is big and I never had trouble starting a fire. Good value for money with a Shirley, and easy to cook on. I just wasn't in love with the RF design. I hear the wait is over 3 years at this point, which tells you something about their reputation. I don't know if they have the same shipping policy but when I bought mine you had to arrange your own shipping.

Here's a short video demo I made of one of my first cooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFTESYPOTaY
            Last edited by Beefchop; November 29, 2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              That was a Big Boy!

Talked to them today. The website lists the 36 Patio for $1,975. I was quoted $2,650 for the base model. With SS Shelf and 1/2 inch fire box it is $3,850. I called Kevin shipping is $1,000. All in $4,850.

That is more than I wanted to spend. Very disappointed.

Comment

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              (continued) and that has driven their costs up. The price you listed is actually what I was quoted for the same model with a 1/4 inch firebox! If you really want one keep your eyes peeled for a used on on either the FB groups or FB marketplace. Most Shirley owners take excellent care of this cookers and you should not shy away from picking up a well cared for used model. I hope this clears things up regarding any bait & switch tactics by Shirley Fabrication.

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              When I contacted them several years ago they sent me a price list that was basically a Word document and we did everything by email and text. lol. I do recall them raising their prices at various points because steel prices have shot up. I was POd once when I tried ordering a shirt/hat and was told by whoever they picked to run that project that the hats and shirts were for special customers only. I was like WTF. Great fabricators but I do think the business side could use some help.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              efincoop - I mean, fine they're not doing a bait and switch... but it's 2021. The 'Oh, we're not TECHNOLOGY people" thing really doesn't fly. It's like a restaurant not reprinting their menus and then saying "Oh, well, the steak isn't $24.95 it's actually $28.95. We just aren't printing people...".

Now... if they want a new site, I know a guy ( I build websites and manage/maintain them).
              Last edited by rickgregory; November 30, 2021, 07:53 PM.

Old Glory if I were you...I would DEFINITLY order a new Shirley right now! Be sure to post pictures when it comes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here