Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabinet stick burner vs offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet stick burner vs offset

Edit: I ordered a KBQ C-60. Which I said I didn’t want to do. I just go where the smoke takes me I guess

I’m in the market for a stick burner. Initially I was gung-ho about the KBQ C-60, but I’ve changed my mind for a couple of reasons. I’m leaning towards a Workhorse 1975, but there is a local builder that appears to make high quality pits for a bit less and no shipping costs. The builder is Boathouse Smokers, he’s about a 15 minute ride from my house. It looks like most of what he makes are vertical cabinet style (not insulated), but they are designed to burn logs instead of charcoal and wood chunks like most cabinets I’ve seen. He also builds some reverse flow offsets, but they still have a cabinet style cook chamber. They kind of look like Shirleys in that regard, but don’t have the round pipe end like them.

It seems to me that hot spots would be worse in a vertical smoker. And stuff like brisket that cooks for a long time would be overcooked underneath. But the videos and pics from cooks on his smokers look good, so I’m just as likely wrong about that.

The only obvious issue other than my theoretical ones would be juices dripping on the meat below if using multiple levels. And then having to stoop down almost to the ground to add logs. Positive side would be a smaller footprint for a larger cooking space.

Boathouse Smokers don’t have a website, just a Facebook page. I don’t have Facebook, so it’s annoying trying to navigate through the page. But you can search for them to see what I’m talking about. Mad Scientist BBQ just did a video at his place too.
    Last edited by Killa J; August 3, 2021, 08:45 AM.

I have an offset pellet smoker.
    Go Traeger, timberline.

Comment

I have an offset (Jambo) and if I had to do it again I’d go with the KBQ. Why:
      1. smaller foot print.
      2. smaller capacity. I just don’t use that 8 sf of cooking space.
      3. technology. I like the idea of drawing the fire through the firebox. I think that will reduce incomplete combustion issues.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
        I have an offset (Jambo) and if I had to do it again I’d go with the KBQ. Why:
        1. smaller foot print.
        2. smaller capacity. I just don’t use that 8 sf of cooking space.
        3. technology. I like the idea of drawing the fire through the firebox. I think that will reduce incomplete combustion issues.
        Wow, maybe I should look at the KBQ again. My reasons for deciding against it were:

1) More open fire than other smokers - I’ve got two toddlers, so that makes me a little nervous
        2) I’m moving away from a pellet grill because I can’t get the smoke profile of wood I prefer. The KBQ seems to be a bit of a wildcard as far as smoke flavor, but I don’t know anyone near me with one to try out the food
        3) Appears to need even more fire management than most stick burners

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going to tag in a few of those I remember more active on the KBQ threads so they can hopefully more specifically advise you on your KBQ questions and concerns. I do know there is a lid KBQ recommends using over the fire box and that most offset fire boxes gets darn hot since the paint burns off many over time. The difference in my mind is that you can see the KBQ fire box is hot before you touch it.

lostclusters Ernest Spinaker TJewell

• Killa J
          Killa J commented
          Editing a comment
          Well… after a moment of weakness (and maybe a beer or two), I have a C-60 on order. At least it doesn’t take up a lot of space! I work nights, not an alcoholic drinking in the morning.
          Last edited by Killa J; August 3, 2021, 08:27 AM.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! You are gonna love it. Drop us a line when you get it and we will help you with any questions you might have. Killa J

They look well made. I guess you have to decide if you want a cabinet style, or a traditional tubular offset.

Comment

Cant beat a Shirley 24x36 patio model.
          stick burner with plenty of cooking area and a small footprint
          they are in Tuscaloosa,Al

Comment

Originally posted by Killa J View Post

Wow, maybe I should look at the KBQ again. My reasons for deciding against it were:

1) More open fire than other smokers - I’ve got two toddlers, so that makes me a little nervous
            2) I’m moving away from a pellet grill because I can’t get the smoke profile of wood I prefer. The KBQ seems to be a bit of a wildcard as far as smoke flavor, but I don’t know anyone near me with one to try out the food
            3) Appears to need even more fire management than most stick burners
            The KBQ is the best smoker I own, by far. The smoke profile blows any pellet rig out of the water, in my experience anyway. Honestly, it is far better than my ceramics, kettles, PBC or anything else. (Just my opinion of course)

You can fit a huge amount of food in a small foot print.
            It is also pretty much portable.

I would say the complete opposite as far as fire management is concerned.It is actually easier, to run than a traditional stick burner. You simply throw the wood on top of the coal bed and let it burn Sure there is some coal bed management but certainly no more than a regular stick burner. Additionally, the temp is totally controlled for you, and the smoke is always clean. These are the two most important parts of running a stick burner properly.

I have had one for six years now, and I could not be more happy with it.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't wait to come over and taste a sample from a KBQ one day. Never had its products but I've read tons of comments just liek this. Mh said it was he most perfect smoke flavor he's tasted, something along those lines anyway.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, roughly 15-30 mins. But you just drop the log in and you are pretty much done. But that is pretty normal for stick burners. For a cook I Ould say I use a large produce box of wood for a good 12 hour cook. So not really that much wood. (Of course temp outside matter too) Old Glory

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              As far as total wood consumption, you dont have to heat up all that heavy steel. So it might be a bit less than a large, HD offset. It takes time, yes, but briskets and shoulders take time. If you want amazing real smoke flavor with out the learning curve, the KBQ is perfect. it is also a lot of fun to cook with.

I think you made a good choice. I did see a video recently on the boathouse smokers, and they looked great. The KBQ looks amazing too. Will be a tough choice for me one day too deciding on a traditional offset, which offaet, or the KBQ.

Comment

I can put a KBQ against any smoker in the universe and I guarantee the KBQ will win.

Comment

I’m a bit annoyed with FedEx now. The second box got delayed from Friday to Saturday to Sunday, and now I still don’t have it. There’s a birthday party this coming weekend that I’m cooking for, but I didn’t get a chance to try out the smoker. No way am I going to cook for a group on the first try with a new smoker, so I’m going to have to use one of my other smokers.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Major bummer.

I had that exact thing happen last summer with a Camp Chef flat top. I received box 1 of 2 with just the griddle top, and even though they shipped at the same time, Fedex delivered box 2 of 2 with the rest of the parts several days later. My company had enough issues with Fedex delays and screwups last year that we've now switched to UPS as our preferred shipper.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here