Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Griller Offset Barrel Smoker Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Griller Offset Barrel Smoker Modifications

I hope I have put this in the right thread and let's get the obvious out of the way. Yes I know the Char Griller is a COS that leaks and isn't very good, but it is what I have and I do not have the budget to get a proper offset. All done? Good! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210416_115914288.jpg Views:	49 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	1042679
    This is what my smoker looks like.

I have already done a number of mods to my smoker.

Baffle: The basket is upside down as a "poor man's baffle plate".

Chimney Stack: Stack elongated to grate level.

Smoking chamber: Attempted to seal the leaky smoking chamber with adhesive smoke seal strips (it is a million times better, but still not "perfect".

Fire basket: Made a fire basket from expanded metal, might need to make a new one from thicker metal, however.

This has all been a lot of fun and I have really enjoyed doing it so in a way it's not a bad thing that this is the smoker that I have.

Now for what I would like to do in addition and that I am hoping someone in the community might be able to give advice on:

Baffles: The upside down coal basket is fine, but I am sure I do not have to tell you all that balancing drip pans and water pans on a curved surface is far from ideal. I'd like some proper metal for a baffle that then rests flat, does anyone have any suggestions?

Smoking chamber: Ideally I'd like this to be less leaky, does anyone have experience in either fitting angle iron to make a "lip" on the inside or any other clever ideas?

"Cooking plate": I have seen a lot of offsets have a piece of metal making a shelf above the firebox, e.g. this one:

I am guessing that the purpose is as a home for a coffee pot, or a sacuepan with a mop sauce to keep it hot? Does anyone have any experience in adding one? From looking at the lid of my firebox I would think it should be an easy enough thing to do?

Any help/advice/suggestions you can give me would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Tomaron; June 10, 2021, 02:41 AM.

You should find everything you need here
    BBQ smoker mod kits smoker parts custom cooker pit barbeque modification parts. High temp FDA gaskets & adhesives, hinges, handles grill grates hardware fire box basket baffle plate charcoal basket

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Originally posted by Darchie03 View Post
    You should find everything you need here
    http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/
    Thanks Darchie03, I have had a look there and the problem with that is that I live in the UK and shipping, VAT etc is prohibitively expensive. Basically, if I was to order the baffle and the water pan shipping and VAT would be more than the items.
    Last edited by Tomaron; June 9, 2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I have the same unit, and have modified it to work quite well, even in winter temps in Canada. I'll get some details for you in the next couple days...

Comment

• Tomaron
        Tomaron commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be amazing. Thank you so much.

Keep layering adhesive strips until the lid seals. I used a welding blanket over the lid.

Comment

• Tomaron
        Tomaron commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't think you could do adhesive on top of adhesive. I've looked at fire rope, but from what I have seen most people say it only lasts a cook or two.

I used a piece of stove pipe for a baffle. Open it up and cut to length if needed. I found it to work quite well. Might need to drill a few holes in the length of it to help with heat distribution.

Comment

• Tomaron
        Tomaron commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you manage to get that flat? I'm using the Coal basket slightly raised (on the legs of the firebox that can be attached when the firebox is used as a grill) at the moment, which actually evens the temps quite well, but as it is not flat doing the water and drip pans becomes a nuisance.

I did not make a charcoal basket. Just used the cooking grates that it came with...

I got a piece of 3" galvanized pipe with adjustable elbows, and dropped the chimney to about 3 cm above the grate.

For baffles, I used a piece of 1/8" flat steel plate and laid them in as pictured. You can slide them around as needed, but the way the are now keeps a pretty consistent temperature across the whole thing. When cooking, I put a water pan in the center...

On the lid, I bolted on some 90 degree angle iron. I believe it was galvanized as well... My son works for a heating and air conditioning company. I then bought this gasket:

and stuck it on. The back side required more layers just to close it up. That was the trickiest part.

If I was doing it again, I would try turn it into a reverse flow, by moving the chimney to the same side as the fire box, and using a solid baffle plate across it instead of two pieces. Also, don't waste your time or money by adding thermometers at the grill height. Use a wireless system like the Thermoworks Smoke or something.

Just my two bits.

P.S. Now that I'm taking pictures, I see how dirty the thing really is. It needs a good cleaning sometime soon.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Tomaron
        Tomaron commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much UncleSpike. That's really helpful. Any chance you have the dimensions/measurements for the pieces you've used?
        It also looks like you have bent one of the baffles at the firebox end, or is that just a trick of the light?

Galvanized steel emits toxic gas when heated above 392 F. Ya might want to rethink using it in your grill. I know I would not eat anything exposed to heated galvanized metal - sorry.

Comment

UncleSpike Would you mind getting me the dimensions of some of your mods please?

Also, do you have an issue with the Firebox? I find I have to prop the lid open a lot lately or the fire will go out and the logs just smoulder and produce a lot of smoke.

Comment

• UncleSpike
          UncleSpike commented
          Editing a comment
          I will try get something for you this weekend. We just moved to a new place, and things are a bit hectic right now.

I actually usually leave the drawer slid open about about a quarter or half an inch to get more airflow into the firebox. I don't really like propping the lid open, as hot air rises...

• Tomaron
          Tomaron commented
          Editing a comment
          UncleSpike Thank you so much, no super hurry if you are busy. Exciting with a new place though I hope.
          I tried the drawer, but couldn't get it right so figured maybe that's not what people do. Now I know that that's what you do I will try that again next time!
          Btw. do you just burn wood or do you replenish coals throughout the cook?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here