Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (to me) Offset smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (to me) Offset smoker

I am learning how to smoke on this smoker. Has anyone ever used one that is set up like this. I would appreciate any advise. Thank you. Click image for larger version

Name:	offset smoker.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1025301

Wow, this baby needs some tlc. And I am not referring to the rusted parts. The panel on the visible side with the vent on it looks a little loose. Smokers need to be some what air tight to maintain the desired temperature. The firebox in the middle is a curious design. I'll bet the temperatures are a little more consistent throughout the cook chamber, possible air leaks aside. Looks like it has lots of grate real-estate.
    Last edited by lostclusters; May 1, 2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Yes, that is on the fix list. It is a drawer that pulls out, I am assuming for charcoal if you want to use it as just a grill. If we can't get it straightened up, I did read of using a high temp gasket material to fill in the gaps. There is a drawer under the firebox also, but not sure how you would get it out.

Comment

Interesting unit. Looks like it’ll come with a bit of a learning curve, as is the case with any new cooker. Best bet is to fire it up and get to know her. Even if you’re not cooking anything yet, try to target temps, maintain them, and see how it performs. Maybe have a couple brews and a steak along the way.

Comment

If there is an entry for wood at the end of the Firebox and you don't plan on grilling in there, I would wrap some insulation around that dude. I'm an Insulated Firebox Junkie. It's a pseudo prestigious Club.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon,
            You have a project for sure.
            Happy grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

Very interesting configuration. Would love to see more pics, inside and outside.

Comment

No better way to figure things out than to fire it up and figure it out. It does look interesting for sure.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
                  mrteddyprincess commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a stellar profile pic! Lots of #33 fans around here. My ideal NBA game is when the Pacers play the Celtics. I don't care who wins...

Little steel wool and that will clean right up...

And that is a WEIRD design. Fire it up and let us know what happens.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. I've never seen a pit like that, so I would have to do the same! Fire it up and see what happens!!! :-) Keep us posted and send lots of pics!

Comment

A little cleaning, a little paint, redneck gasket on the one end and we fired up the beast this weekend and managed to cook a lonely pork butt. It seems like the fire box is a lilttle big, and the only way to tend the fire is by opening it up from the top. We managed to keep the temperature pretty steady. Used a little 12 v fan to aid with airflow when we needed it. A combination of my OCD and my husbands lack of OCD seemed to work out. No flare up's outside of the smoker. Some gasket material for the end, maybe a little modification in firebox and more practice we may be ready for the local bar rib cookoff in a month. Click image for larger version

Name:	fire box.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1027153

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here