Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naive Question: How is food cooked on log burners/offsets not inedibly smokey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    That’s funny AF texastweeter But only car guys would understand that.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    You would think this guy knows a thing or two about fires...

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Lol. Short answer 14.7 to 1 for gasoline engines

• texastweeter
    replied
    Faster airflow, and when ran properly it is a much hotter fire with more complete combustion, less particulates in the smoke. Also usually a much larger smoke chamber for the particulates to disperse in.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Nah they can keep building up, just like creosote in your pit.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    I dunno, I've had some stickburner-cooked meats that were so smoky I could barely stomach them. Maybe it was dirty smoke/soot, I dunno. All I know is I didn't care for them at ALL.

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    Henrik, that was *incredibly* instructive and answered my question perfectly! Thank you so much for taking the time to film that.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Here it is willxfmr : https://youtu.be/64MaYxAtGls

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Captain!

• CaptainMike
    replied
    As requested from Henrik here's my structure fire analogy. There are 4 basic phases of a structure fire: 1) the incipient phase when a fire is ignited, 2) the growth phase where a fire starts consuming combustibles, 3) the free burn phase where most or all of the combustibles are being consumed, and 4) the decay or smoldering phase where most of the available oxygen in an enclosed environment has been used and combustion gasses accumulate without burning.

In smoking food we're in the 3rd and/or 4th phase. Because we're using sticks instead of charcoal, offsets perform best in the 3rd phase were there is live fire, air movement, and partial combustible gas consumption (thin blue smoke). The main function of an offset is to move heat and smoke from the fire box across the cooking chamber and out through the vent.

Kettles, barrels, kamados, etc when using slow burning charcoal tend toward the smoldering phase where heat, smoke and water vapor linger in the cooking chamber and are expelled more slowly. Due to the increased level of incomplete combustion and decreased air movement there are more smoke particles available to adhere to our food. This is also the reason why we should "burp" a cooker to prevent a smoke explosion (backdraft) when we see the combination of copious dirty smoke and high heat. If you've ever had the hair on your forearms singed when opening a kettle then you know what I mean.

Of course the variables are almost infinite and the conditions can easily be flip flopped with any style of cooker, but these are the observations of an old fireman and his smokers.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; April 24, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    Henrik I'd love to see the video if you wouldn't mind sharing the link. I don't own an offset any more, but that might change someday.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    CaptainMike, I for one would love to hear all those esoterics from you.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    Stoichio what???

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Quite possibly so, ain't got a PBC to verify...

BUT, if ya made ya a burn barrel, an fed yer PBC coals from splits, might be a really tasty kinda experience...

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    I dunno...

I jus throws me some hickory, mesquite, etc. et. al into mine, an sets th knob on "Low Smoke"...

Never feel abashed or shy bout askin a question round these here parts, Brother!

(Reckon I done asked up alla th Stoopid ones, long afore ya got here!)
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 23, 2021, 08:46 PM. Reason: Ficksed my bad bbcode...:o

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here