so i'm still looking at all the possibilities in the situation of buying from afar in the 'ol U.S.A. and buying local in the 'ol U.S.A. I found a local fab shop that produces some fine looking stuff and I can pick up and pay no shipping. They are quoting a 120-gal. modded propane tank-style smoker for base price of $3K; 150 gal. starting at $3,800. The quality looks very good and reviews are also very positive. it is on par with other base models as far what's included. they make small, backyard cookers, to very large trailer smokers, in addition to other creative metal and iron work, and are a small, family-run biz.

On the other hand, I can shop a fine-looking 24x48 LSG for $3,285 + CA sales tax + $650 for shipping. Another great American, family-run biz, but mucho shipping because it weighs mucho.

Maybe my question more so is what can go wrong buying local? If all the the welds are solid with no leaks and the shop has a trusted record of quality work, is there much difference between the much reviewed LSG models (or other reviewed models) and a locally-manufuactured smoker? can they run the smoke tubes wrong? or discombubbulate the smoke box so it won't smoke right? Are your standard (and I mean EOS standard, not COS standard) offset smokers re-invented wheels or is there some magic to them that makes one in someway better than another?

please let this marinate and reply as needed.

!Gracias!