Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kat BBQ Smokers - Modesto, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kat BBQ Smokers - Modesto, CA

i'm intrigued by this whole stick burning way of cooking and have been thinking about jumping in to it with my work boots still on. Does anyone have any experience with this company Kat BBQ Smokers? I came across them in a craigslist ad and they look pretty legit. i really like the look of their 36- and 48-inch reverse flow units. the entry price point is not too crazy, either. any thoughts?

48-inch reverse flow starts at $,2450

Click image for larger version

Name:	kat bbq 1.jpeg
Views:	672
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1011315

36-inch reverse flow starts at $1,850

Click image for larger version

Name:	kat bbq 2.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1011314

I ran across their ad when I was looking into cabinet smokers. Looks like quality builds. If I remember correctly someone here in NorCal has one. Would save you a ton on shipping.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      mine was $590

• AdequateEatin
      AdequateEatin commented
      Editing a comment
      My shipping last summer for my LSG was $450 but I got the 20"x36". I am assuming both you guys got a bigger unit?

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I got the large insulated cabinet with the comp cart.

I looked at them a while ago and ultimately ended up going with Lonestar Grillz. I've heard the reverse flow benefit isn't that great plus with a 48" cooker you can actually take advantage of different temps across the grill surface with standard flow. I never saw any KAT smoker in person but I and multiple others here can attest to the quality of the LSG.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup

what is the common entry level cost of a decent stick burner? am i looking at $1k for something decent? or will a $500 model do the trick?

Comment

latenight71 unfortunately there are two offset smoker categories. COS - Cheap Offset Smoker...and EOS - Expensive Offset Smoker.

Generally speaking anything over $2,000 is going to be your EOS...anything below that is most likely going to be considered the COS category. Great food can be produced in either. Consistency and ease of use is what you will be paying for.

A great middle ground that still isn’t "cheap" but less costly than an EOS is the KBQ. Lots of good info here on both. I can say both are great as I own both and love them dearly.

That price range above is very loosely made. Obviously there is a big +/- factor but it’s an easy starting point.
      Last edited by JakeT; March 31, 2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        that's pretty consistent with my hobby choices i've found. i've gone cheap, i've gone to the moon. it's easy to tell the difference in the end result. not to say i haven't made a cheap flux-core HF welder fix the job at hand. but a kick ass Miller would have made it a lot prettier! gots some thinkin to do on this i guess.

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        latenight71 the difference being that an angle grinder won’t help you fix a 12 hr smoke ruined by "dirty smoke" like it can fix a bad weld LOL.

latenight71,
      I have and suggest a KBQ C-60, Meathead does.
      Check the units featured in the column to your right for the one Amazingsribs deemed " Our Favorite Backyard Smoker".
      Unlike an Offset; it costs far less, is easier to use, cooks faster, therefore uses less wood, does not require a forklift, crane, rigging company or a any number of friends to move it, does not rust and will cook 60#'s at a time, just to to start with and I have not even mentioned the superior engineering inherit to its design.
      I was considering a KAT, but with all the options I thought I wanted or needed the cost was ~4K.
      Do you have a source for wood? I suggest that you consider and locate that first.
      I am relatively local to you and fuel cost was a significant consideration in whether or not I transitioned from a UDS to a "Stickburner".

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm. fuel cost. that's a very intersting consideration (says the guy who used to commute in L.A. rush hour in a Ford F350 crewcab big block on 37s that got Feet Per Gallon, not miles !!)
        I've found a few wood sources but most are toward San Berdoo or high desert. Not far but sure I can find closer.
        I've looked at the KBQ and i must say it is impressive. my only hold up? it looks like an oven and i don't want to stand around an oven in my backyard. it just does't feel right.

Well then, a manly truck deserves a manly BBQ.
      I get my wood "Straight Outa Compton".

Comment

I highly recommend The Woodshed in Orange, Ca. close to Anaheim Stadium. They have Logs, Chunks, Chips or Custom Cut the size logs you need. https://thewoodshedoc.com/cooking-wood

Comment

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I used to work near there and passed by it a few times but couldn't remember the name.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here