Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Stick Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Stick Burner

I bought my very first offset smoker recently. A Meadow Creek SQ-36 with the optional charcoal pan and extra food grate. I found it local on Facebook Marketplace for a reasonable price. I didn’t want a COS but I also didn’t want to wait several years to save up enough money to buy an EOS. I am hoping I found a happy medium. Besides, it was tough enough to convince SWMBO that the SQ-36 was a worthwhile investment. I’m still going to save for the EOS but at least now I can get some experience managing a fire.
    It had been kept outdoors without a cover. I brought it home and gave it some TLC, cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of high heat paint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210320_185110 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	1010814
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210326_175110.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1010815

I had already sourced wood so I called them up had a ½ cord of oak delivered. I don’t have a lot of experience here but I think it’s only partially seasoned. I had to pick through the pile to find the best pieces before my first cook. I used the top of the firebox like an on-deck circle. The firebox gets hot enough to char the wood, so I’ve got to be careful.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210326_175115 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	1010818
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210327_090921.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	1010819

I did a couple of test runs and learned it runs about 20°F hotter than the middle main grate near the firebox and 20°F cooler on the top shelf.
    First cook happened this weekend. A 12 lb prime brisket from Sam’s club and 2 pork shoulders. It was also the maiden run for my Fireboard 2 (I have a touch of MCS). I’m enjoying the challenge of managing the fire and the cooker temps.
    The pork shoulder near the firebox was good but a little too smokey for my taste. The one in the middle might have been the best one I have ever made. The brisket was really good but there’s room for improvement and I can’t wait to give it another shot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	27MAR21 Fireboard.png Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	1010820
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210327_091032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	1010817
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210327_181723 (2).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1010823

I really looking forward to using all this extra capacity to cook a whole bunch and share it!
    Last edited by Geekandproud; March 30, 2021, 05:45 PM.

Congrats on the new toy. You may want to rotate meats in the future if you have to have one close to the firebox in the future.

Comment

• Geekandproud
      Geekandproud commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a great idea, thanks! After waking up a 3am and managing the fire I didn't even think of rotating the meat.

Congratulations! Nice pit!

Comment

Nice pick up & great work at clean up. Then yer drum roll with the cook, kabam! Symbols & everthing! Yer goin to to do terrific with the new baby!
      BTW, does it have a name yet?

Comment

• Geekandproud
        Geekandproud commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never thought of naming my cookers, I'm much too boring. Out of fairness to the cooker, I'll give it a few more cooks then I'll ask my daughter to help me give 'er a good name.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! Guarantee she won’t be boring.

• Geekandproud
        Geekandproud commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for keeping the pressure off!

Great job! Nice looking smoker. Good job on the TLC, at first glance I thought you bought it new. Even better job it looks like on the food, that brisket looks awesome!

Comment

Congrats! I looked for one of those but the closest Meadow Creek dealer is in Florida. Very cool cooker.

Comment

• Geekandproud
          Geekandproud commented
          Editing a comment
          The Meadow Creek headquarters is only a couple hours away from me. It's the only well known manufacturer that I have been able to find in my area. When I do upgrade it'll likely be from Meadow Creek. I've drooled over the websites of the other well known manufacturers, but I'll never convince myself to pay the shipping.

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Geekandproud That's wonderful! My wife's grandma used to live in New Holland and I stopped by the showroom one time when we were visiting her just to ogle their pig roasters, grills, and smokers.

Nice score and cleanup!!

Comment

Sweet. Meadow Creek make some really good cookers and at a reasonable price.
          Looks like you done good. On the score as well as the cleaning up of that puppy.
          Congrats brother. 💪

Comment

A Fine Job, alla round, from what I'm seein'!

Hope ya enjoy burnin some sticks....I certainly do...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 30, 2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Great cooker and even better looking food!

Comment

Nice! What a great cooker!

Comment

Magnificent!

Comment

Nice job on the resto mate, I can't taste it but by the pics there doesn't look like there is much wrong with that brisket to me, well done

Comment

WOW! If this is what your first attempt resulted in, I can't wait to see what happens when you know what you are doing!

Comment

Seriously, that brisket looks amazing. Im saving the stick burner for after the kids move out, lol, which may be a while. Only 5 and 2 and no way im getting away with managing a live fire every weekend.

Glad you are enjoying your new cooker. Looks great.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                          jpietrantone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Right there with you. We have a 2 year old and no way I'd get away with it either.

• Geekandproud
                          Geekandproud commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks @grantgallager! My kid is a teen and that gives me a little more freedom with my time. Also, its really difficult coming to this forum all the time, seeing all these great cooks, and, equipment and not want try it out. I think AmazingRibs.com is an MCS enabler!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here