Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting new COS - Char-Griller Grand Champ XD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting new COS - Char-Griller Grand Champ XD

For a COS, it gets pretty amazing reviews. It looks like it is 1/8th inch steel and specs bring it in at 70 pounds heavier than the OKJ Highland. I'm curious if this bridges any of the gap between the typical box store COS and a lower end welded offset like the Horizon Classic, Yoder Cheyenne, or Old Country Brazos?

Positive reviews looked like a mixed bag of "pick me to review your next grill" and "if the wife reads this I better justify those Benjamins."

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, always a little leery when a lot of the reviews point back to manufacturer’s site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B32FB0A-61DE-4DAB-8898-C0B73BC1BEEE.png
Views:	962
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1008975

Looks like it’s a pretty decent grill for the money, $500. ain’t bad. It’s seem to have a lot of features which are useful. The fuel basket, removable ash tray and grease drain are handy. I also like that it allows you to put 1 or 2 thermometers at grate level, rather than leaving it near the top, as shown in this picture. This would make a pretty good smoker for beginners or someone wanting to get a smoker without spending $1,000. or more. Not sure how long those felt gaskets would last, but easily replaced with better ones when needed. I’ll bet HD sells a boat load of these things.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      EDIT: Well maybe not a boatload.....it’s only available for delivery, not sold in stores. I was just in my Home Depot for something else, they don’t even have it on display. For $500. I kinda want to get a hands on demo with it.

You do get what you pay for. If it was me, I would give it a hard looking at. Jeremy Yoder, Mad Scientist BBQ, has a video or two on this subject.
    (11) How to Manage the Fire in a Cheap Offset Smoker (COS) - YouTube
    (11) I Bought the Cheapest Offset Smoker at Home Depot and Made a Brisket - YouTube
    Although the equipment does matter, It's the Pitmaster that makes great BBQ.
    Personal study confirms my choice of a Pellet grill.
    Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; March 26, 2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here