Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to use Oak? Hickory? Cherry? or Mesquite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find Cherry wood will give a deeper color to pork or chicken when using it to smoke.

Comment

Mesquite and oak for beef, venison, lamb
      pecan and almond for poultry
      hickory for pork
      fruit woods and maple for fish, veggies, pasta, and cheese
      alder for salmon

this is my choices

Comment

I know this has been going for some time and I've stayed out of it. Wood for smoking is what Harry Soo calls a 3 hour argument. If you can really tell the difference then you choose your favorite and stay with it. When I first started smoking on an offset when I moved to Texas in the 1970's, everyone was using mesquite. It burns hot and clean and does have a strong flavor component. In fact they still sell the Kingsford charcoal with mesquite that I really like and purchase every once in a while. I realize Texas is now all about Post Oak but for my money mesquite is still my favorite for beef. You just have to learn to control the beast and it gives you excellent results. Another testament to that a lot of local restaurants still cook with it exclusively as well.

So for all you haters and mesquite bashers, come on down to old Troutman's house and taste the mesquite. You'll be amazed !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly this. Texas style and flavor got bit across the country in the mid 80s. So mesquite grilled everything, fajitas and tex-mex with neon signs and frozen margs got super popular.

I would gladly take the invitation, because that's the BBQ flavor I grew up with.

• richcinta
          richcinta commented
          Editing a comment
          In my past, I recall, some of the yummiest restaurant dishes I had were Mesquite Filet Mignon and Rainbow Trout. So I too, am partial to Mesquite. Q: With Mesquite, when should I cook it slow and low versus Hot and Fast? I cooked trout slow and low one time so far...Mesquite style.. and I also cooked Salmon...on Post Oak high...for only 8 minutes. Any suggestions?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here