Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy

Got her seasoned up the other night. My modifications include adding gasket around the doors of both the cook chamber and fire box, high temp BBQ sealant on all seams and openings, and a 2nd dome thermometer (only one came included) all 3 items are from Lava Lock. I also made my own heat deflector, using aluminum foil wrap around the 2 racks that are meant for direct charcoal cooking in the firebox. I learned that trick from YouTube. I'm currently smoking 3 racks of baby back ribs that I slathered in mustard and rubbed with Meat Church Honey Hog rub. Charcoal is Royal Oak Lump with post oak chunks for flavor. Temperature is holding steady at 225. So far so good.
    Attached Files

Nice mods. Looks like a nice day to me!

Comment

Looks like you are having fun!

Comment

I think I can smell it from here.

Comment

Waiting for the Wibs! Beautiful!

Comment

Congrats on yer OKJ, Brother!
            I absolutely LOVE mine, been usin it fer many years, it's goin on 5, I believe...
            Yer cook is lookin great, enjoy, an thanks fer sharin, lookin forward to many more pics!

Comment

Congrats on the rig and nice job on mods. Lots of fun times ahead.

Comment

4 hours in. Getting close to where I want them to be temperature wise.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  !!!!Yummy!!!!
                  Almost there, amigo!
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 02:42 PM.

Great job on sealing Joe up. I don't see a hint of smoke anywhere but the chimney. And the ribs are lookin' real good.

Comment

Final results. These ribs gave me something that we refer to in the whiskey community as a "flavor memory". They reminded me of the Church picnics I would attend as a child with my parents. The "older men" who were probably my age right now (scary thought) would cook burgers, hot dogs and chicken over Kingsford charcoal. As soon as I bit into the rib, I was transported back to that time in my life. The ribs were perfect, clean bite, not "fall off the bone". No sauce required. I enjoyed my meal with an Old Grandad Mint Julep for a true southern experience. The Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker is a winner in my book.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks wonderful. Great job!

Comment

What a terrific first cook on your new toy. Congrats. And thanks for the "flavor memory" story. It brought back memories of my own.

Kathryn

Comment

Ahhh, the flavor memory....what a beautiful thing! Doesn't get much better than that. Congrats on your cook!

Comment

The grill looks great and so do the end results. Congrats on your ingenuity, I need to do something similar to my offset smoker here before I get started this spring. Edit Just ordered the Lava Lock kit you shown above and now will update my smoker, thanks for the idea
                          Last edited by cruiseplanner1; April 5, 2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Looks great! Good idea to do your mods before the first cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here