Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which board to post this question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which board to post this question?

I was at my local Ace and they had a vertical offset by Oklahoma Joe. I believe it's called the Bandera. I'm intrigued - which board would be the appropriate one to post on to hear what others think of this rig?

Dad KenC52 has one. If he gets on here anytime soon, he can help.

Comment

I've moved this to Grills & Smokers > Log Burners > Oklahoma Joe.

Comment

I have one I bought at Lowes a few years back. It was my go to smoker until I bought my Pit Boss pellet grill/smoker last fall. The Bandera works really well. Somewhere on this place I have some photos of modifications I made to mine and the results of a "test" run with probe thermometers placed at various levels in the smoke chamber. I remember that I was surprised how even the temps were, but the top racks were the hottest. I also found that using a stainless steel colander in the fire chamber allowed me to better control low and slow temps while keeping the smoke clean and pleasant. I hate having to choke off the fire to control temps, poor combustion creates poor smoke. I haven't used mine since getting the pellet grill/smoker but that is because of convenience, not better flavor. In fact I have to use a smoke tube with either chips or pellets in it to get the smoke flavor I like with the pellet smoker. But with the smoke tube I get the flavor I want and don't have to baby sit a smoker plus since I am retired I seldom cook for more than my wife and I and the Bandera is overkill for a single rack of ribs or a chicken. I had no real complaints about the Bandera. I bought a cover for it, sealed the fire box with high temp gasket material, bought some additional shelves, and drilled out a hole in the side for a Weber Smoky Mountain rubber plug for using temp probes (I put the plug in the side of the cooker which was a mistake, put it in the back). If I can find the place I posted about the Bandera I will come back here with a link.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      KenC52 thanks for that write up - very helpful.

• KenC52
      KenC52 commented
      Editing a comment
      Follow up: Used it on Tuesday to smoke some home made wild boar summer sausage. Used it because I could hang them in it and it just creates a better (IMO) smoke flavor. Worked so well I went to the barn and split up some more hickory to use with it. I'll be using it again soon I suspect!

Found it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here