Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Trial Run on OKJ - Pros and Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JeffJ I've got a Chargriller Pro with similar design and issues and the one thing I've done that seems to help stabilize the temps is starting with a chimney starter full of coals, and once they're glowing I take the wood and split it down, usually in half, no matter the size. Once they get to charcoal stage I add wood chunks more than split mini-logs. I believe that's also what jfmorris was getting at. Now, I've still got other issues, especially soot with Chicken, but I've got steadier temps. I hope this helps.

Comment

A neighbour of mine has one of these smokers and he has not had good success using it, he is new to smoking, a friend of his talked him into buying it. I do not think he used it last year. I was going to ask if he wanted to sell it but now I am not so sure I want it? My other problem Is the space required to store another smoker as well. If it turns up at the curb I will bring it home.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know what other cookers you have, but the biggest problem with Cheap Offsets (COS) is that while its possible to turn out great BBQ with them, its a lot of work to do so. Sealing up some of the leaks with gasket material can help, and learning proper fire management to maintain the temp you want without billowing white smoke or sooty black smoke is the key.

No offset is as hands off as about any other smoker type, but the COS require even more attention during the cook I think.

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Traeger pellet smoker and a Akron egg and I am very happy with both to date, I also have Napoleon gas bbq. I would like something else that burns wood but I have not decided what that is yet.

Once late fall set in I haven't used the OKJ and most likely won't until Spring. I did get a Kindling Cracker for Christmas which will help considerably. This rig runs best with wood chunks or very small, skinny splits. I also used a fan to keep the fire breathing nicely. I completely agree with jfmorris a COS is a LOT of work but it does produce excellent results just so long as you babysit it properly. I can't see myself ever using this thing for a really long cook, like pork butt or brisket. I could potentially cook a butt in it for 3 or 4 hours and then move it to the Weber 26 kettle or the Pit Barrel. I actually like using it as a cooker with the meat really close to the fire box and with a nice hot fire. I love the taste the wood imparts and it gets great sear sitting so close to the firebox.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I no longer use my COS (Custom OffSet in my case) for butts or brisket if I can avoid it. Longest recent cook was ribs, and even that I had to refuel 3-4 times.

• DesertRaider
        DesertRaider commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ, I agree with your summation about wood chunks and small splits. I've had my Chargriller for a few years now, and the learning curve is not for the faint of heart. I have found that since I got my Smoke thermometer my cooks have improved, so, I'm willing to try something beyond birds and ribs again, maybe pastrami, and if that goes well, I'll try a brisket. Lot of work, but, when it works well the smoke flavor is tops.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here