Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Cook on the Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Cook on the Longhorn

Note: I will update this first post as the cook progresses.

I decided to fire up the Longhorn again. I mentioned in my previous post that I want to make a baffle to control the firebox outflow. Today, spur of the moment, I saw a very rusty and brittle remnant of my old charcoal chimney. I took a piece and put it over the firebox opening, using the grate to hold it in place. This has made a huge difference! No more runaway fires when a log is added, only took about 45 minutes to light the fire and bring the smoker to my desired temperature.

Picture from inside the firebox. The baffle blocks most, but not all, of the outflow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1255416

Also, I am using all three charcoal grates to make a "V" shape. I saw this in a youtube video and it also helps with fire management.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.49 MB ID:	1255418

Click Akuashi Brisket just going on. Temperature dropped from 255o to 225o so I might open the damper on the chimney a little more - I like to cook brisket at about 250o or so. Standard Texas Dalmatian rub.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	1255417

Next, I'll be putting these Creekstone Farms Duroc ribs on. Dry brining with a 50/50 blend of Redboat fish salt and Himalayan pink salt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.96 MB ID:	1255419

Three hours in. It started raining 30 minutes after I took this picture, smoker temp dropped to 190o but is back up to 240o now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.51 MB ID:	1255594

5 hours. Ribs added 15 minutes ago. Mustard binder; onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.74 MB ID:	1255678
    Brisket at 8 hours, ribs at 3 hours. I sauced and wrapped the ribs right after this picture. I'm using Aaron Franklin's method for the ribs (and his sauce too). Brisket was at the end of the stall so it got wrapped too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.15 MB ID:	1255818

I took the ribs out of the foil to set the sauce for 20 minutes. they are resting now. The brisket hit 190o and I had used my last piece of cut wood when I unwrapped the ribs so I moved the brisket into the oven to finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle8.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.15 MB ID:	1255895

Finished!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Firebox_baffle9.jpg Views:	13 Size:	277.1 KB ID:	1256027

Money shot. Oh so tender. See posts below for more details/thoughts on this cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebox_baffle10.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	1256337
    Last edited by 58limited; July 17, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Awesome dude! Hey, I’m in town, what time is dinner?

Comment

Looks great, no worries, I can't come, I need to take care of uncle

Comment

Think there’s a flt to IAH at 15:30, I’ll hop an Uber
        any luck I’ll be there for 7
        Agree with the V shaped grates in the firebox. My nephew is making offsets out of compressor tanks and that set up really works well in his builds.
        Last edited by smokin fool; July 16, 2022, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Call me, I’ll swing by and pick you up…..anyone else wanna go?

Please send real estate listings in your area....

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          You wouldn't like this area. Killer humidity and lots of hurricanes. It s a visiting place, not a living place.

Looking fine, good luck!

Comment

Clever, nice work!

Comment

I am glad that you figured out how to tame the beast.

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, now to make a more permanent version out of 1/8" plate. I'm thinking of a PK Original style vent: base plate and another loosely bolted over it. Slots cut into both. Bolt on using existing firebox bolts, slide the top plate to adjust opening size.

Finished and yummy! Definitely had an easier time managing the fire with the scrap metal baffle I jury rigged. Picture is also posted in the first post above with all of the other updates.

Name:	Firebox_baffle9.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1256025

Comment

Last picture, I promise. While the brisket was smoking I watched several videos by Chud's BBQ on youtube (wish I would have watched his trimming vids before I trimmed - I've watched other vids on trimming but he really demonstrated and explained things well). For those not familiar with Chud's BBQ, it is the youtube channel of Bradley Robinson, pitmaster of Leroy and Lewis BBQ who made #5 on the Texas Monthly Top 50 list in 2021. Bradley currently makes his own line of BBQ pits.

I held the brisket in the oven overnight at low heat (another credit to Chud's) and I just sliced it. OMG, this is probably my best brisket yet. I scored my first cook on the Longhorn 8/10. I think I'll drop that to 7/10. I've made better briskets than that one on my kamado but the one I just cooked on the Longhorn takes the gold.

So, this slice is from where the point and flat meet. Beautiful smoke ring, juicy, tender to the point of barely being able to pick it up intact. And the taste - best ever.

Name:	Firebox_baffle10.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	1256330

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks damn good David, congrats!

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                I keep walking by and grabbing bites. About to go into a food (and beer) coma.

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                ....sigh....

Love your use of red boat salt as part of the dry brine!!! What wood were you burning? The brisket looks very good, but i love pork and I want to see the ribs!!!! 🔥🔥🔥❤️🐿

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                Ribs were nothing special. I used mostly red oak but I put one hickory log on, a few pecan branches, and two pieces of crepe myrtle.

Fantastic share, and cook. Thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here