Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OKJ Highland Smokestack Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OKJ Highland Smokestack Extension

I’ve made a friend that has acres of tamarack so I’ve been having some awesome campfires. Problem is he also has more sweet maple than he knows what to do with so I’m three pickup loads into that as well and can’t put it in the fire pit knowing it is a good smoking wood.

I have yet to beat MCS.

I decided to get a COS and mod it out. Bbqmods has a smokestack extension for the OKJ Highland that is rarely in stock. Low draft has been an issue so far. Any ideas for a DIY?

I think MCS has a hold on you. Yes I do.

Comment

Go to your local big box hardware store and take a look at the metal chimney stuff. Ya might find something that will work.

Comment

I've used muffler parts. Thin sheet metal can be rolled. Just be careful on getting too long. The air will cool before it exits and cause it to sink rather than continuing to rise.

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          I figure since the bbqmods extension is 18” that’s a good length to start with

Bein an experienced OKJ Highland owner, haveta say, haven't experienced th draft problems...perhaps further elaboration on th issues yer experiencin might help us to provide a solution, at zero dollars cost...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Are ya startin a fire, all Boy Scout style, like many us was raised up on, or layin ya down a heapin full chimley of coals, an then, layin ya some wood up in?

I do th latter, fo sho, git ~mebbe 15-20° diff, crosst mine...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 5, 2021, 06:58 PM.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Gasp!!! Ya ain't tryin to run it on straight up effakin charcoal, are ya

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones I get a half or full chimley of B&B lump going to heat things up and then start adding logs. Sometimes one. Sometimes a couple. Sometimes a few in a hatch type pattern. Less wood seems to get me better airflow

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here