Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to light filled charcoal basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to light filled charcoal basket?

Hi Everyone,

Just curious... if running the charcoal basket completely (with fan) full for long cooks, I had a couple questions:

1) Is there a spot where lighting makes the most sense? Like in bottom back corner away from door, bottom closest to door, or top? Conceptually, I feel like bottom and away corner makes sense but wanted to check logic.

2) Do you get to temp, then load up and turn fan on, or drive the fan to get to temp?

good question look forward to the answers.
    Does not apply to pellet grills.

Comment

Try a match. Always worked fer me!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yur logic is matchless...

What you cookin on?

Oh. I see your avatar. I can't help other than agree with FireMan

Comment

Sorry, specifically asking if people light a full charcoal box from the bottom or top and from the door or opposite side. In theory there is prob a best way to do it. on a charcoal box it almost acts like a very large version of the snake method where it gradually lights over time so curious which direction is most efficient
        Last edited by smarks112; January 26, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Yup smarks112 , ya just learned that ya has to be specifical to some of us thick headed ones here. Plus, it gives us ample opportunity to start jokin around. 🥸

Comment

I always light mine closest to the induction fan. Now this is with my Kamados, so you set up may be a bit different. But I think the concept is pretty much the same.

My thinking in lighting the fire in front of the fan is that it will push the fire across the charcoal basket as it burns, I have never had a flame out while doing it this way. I would light my fire closest to the point of induction, then let the airflow draw across the fuel and out the stack. This way you will always be pulling the fire across the until fuel.

I light a small, hot fire with my torch and let the fire take for a little bit before adding the fan and letting it do its thing. I always let the kamado warm up to about 20 F from my target temp, then I will add the fan and temp probe. I would think this would work fine for your unit as well. it is the same concept , just in a different cooker.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, it would take one of our moderators to come along & get all teknical n’ stuff.

• smarks112
              smarks112 commented
              Editing a comment
              Very helpful, thanks. That makes sense to me.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              That is why they pay me the big bucks. FireMan

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here