Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M1 or Karubecue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 or Karubecue?

For you dual owners, which one produces the best smoke flavor?

Which one is easier to use?

EDIT: I am asking only from a smoker perspective. Thanks to all of the opinions below.
    Last edited by Clint Christo; October 24, 2020, 03:47 PM.

I don’t own either, but have read about both. They seem to be two different options. I think the M1 is pretty cool given you can grill and smoke with an offset style set up. There are many on here that own one or the other, but I don’t recall if anyone ones both.

But whichever you get, enjoy!!! And, Lone Star Grillz has something that is similar to that M1 set up, a few on here have that as well, or have it and one just ordered it.

Enjoy!

Comment

I cannot offer an opinion either way but I am very interested in this thread.

Comment

Both seem like great cookers. M1 is on my wish list. Really two very different smokers. KBQ is a one trick pony whereas the M1 is more versatile.

Hopefully someone can chime in and give you some hands on insight. If it were me I'd get the M1. It's duel fuel charcoal or wood and can be a grill or a smoker.

What the hell get both!

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Now your talking!

i'm extremely interested in this thread as well. I was considering a KBQ at one point, but now determined to purchase an M1 due to the versatility.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          So how can we help spend your money 😂 I so want an M1, but.....justifying the cost...... maybe one day!

Can’t wait to hear what you end up with!

I cant speak to the merits of the M1, but I just bought my second KBQ as I missed it when we were at our summer property. . You were asking about the smoke flavor. I think it would be difficult to match what Bill has invented for smoke flavor. The design allows a knucklehead like myself turn out great BBQ every time. Easy as falling out of bed!

Comment

My primary concern with the KBQ is the open flame as in many areas that are dry, they have no burn seasons and thus the KBQ cannot be used for a good chunk of the year. That seems kinda tough.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be me. So I got a PK360 for use during the burn ban. Then this year they banned all open flames and charcoal.

I own a KBQ. Had a vertical before. The smoke flavor from the KBQ is great. You can run "heavy" by having both poppets open or light, both closed. Heavy is not bad at all - still a clean smoke flavor. Light is perfect for chicken and fish.
          I do agree you need to be careful with KBQ placement. Never on a wooden deck for example! There are various fireproof mats you can put underneath.
          I always run with the firebox closed. But there still tends to be embers that will "escape" and land on the ground.

Comment

The KBQ requires power and wood is added every 20 - 30 mins where the M1 from my understanding is more like 45 mins - 1 hr. The log size is also different where the M1 can take a larger split. I have neither but will most likely purchase the M1 since my use will be both smoking and grilling.

Comment

Can't argue with that - the KBQ is a smoker. Period.
            As others have said, hard to match the quality of the smoked products the KBQ easily produces.
            I ended up retiring my old gasser and splurged on a Large BGE. Another fine product for grilling. I've attempted a few smokes on the BGE. Not bad but me and my family are spoiled by the KBQ. Definitely not in the same class.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here