Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal smoking tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal smoking tests

Hi All - I have been experimenting with charcoal smoking for those times don’t have time to fully feed the fire (or for after the meat gets wrapped) and thought I’d share. A completely full firebox basket of charcoal Briquettes With wood chunks mixed in using a Pit Viper fan lasted almost exactly 5 hours at target temp. I have seen others recommend a top layer of competition char-logs on top to extend the time, so I’d be interested in experimenting with those and lump next time (was out of lump) to see impact.

Which briquettes did you use. We have found that different briquettes have different burn times.

Comment

• smarks112
      smarks112 commented
      Editing a comment
      Weber original

What was your target temp you smoked at? I plan on smoking on my M1 for the first time today and was also going to use Weber briquettes plus the B&B comp logs on top. I do not have a pit controller so this will just be done with the vents. I think I will try smoking at around 275.

Comment

• smarks112
      smarks112 commented
      Editing a comment
      For this experiment i set the target at 250F. When smoking I usually target ~260 +/- 15F

I did do my rib cook today using weber briquettes and B&B comp logs and it turned out great. Grill was very easy to dial in and held temps very well. I did add a few more comp logs close to the five hour mark and it's still going now at about 8:30 pm. I started the cook at about 12:30 pm. Very impressed with this cooker.

Comment

This might be a stupid question but if they burn longer why not just use all competition char logs?

Comment

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        You probably could but starting briquettes is probably easier initially. I cooked a pork butt on Monday on mine and started the fire with weber briquettes with comp logs on top and when I refueled I just used comp logs.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here