Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painted M1's, look under your grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted M1's, look under your grill.

One of my wheels does not touch the ground for some reason so I was looking at the bottom of it to see if there was some kind of adjustment and noticed that the entire bottom of my grill was not painted. Luckily since it's fairly new there wasn't much rust but I wiped it down with alcohol and so far have one coat of hi-temp bbq paint on it. I'm waiting for it to dry so I can do another.

Interesting.

Comment

Okay, I'm an old paint prep guy so forgive my bluntness, but if all you did was wipe down the rust you described with alcohol you might have taken off some oil like contaminants, but did nothing to remove anything but loose rust flakes. In other words, it'll be back sooner rather than later. You need to treat the rust, after scrubbing away any loose particles, with an acid to convert it to a more inert state. Use either phosphoric acid; e.g. coca cola, navel jelly, Rust Mort, or my favorite, straight out of the jug so you don't pay for mysterious packaging. The other alternative would be oxalic acid; Bar Keepers friend, or again, just buy it online in crystalline form without marketing foo fah, and mix your own. The net is full of methods (though most sites are targeting old car guys).

Comment

The rust that I mention is not scaling type rust flakes but just flash type very minor rust that you would see with new metal that was exposed to moisture. It was the same type that I saw inside the grill before I seasoned it.

I'm not very concerned about it and obviously M Grills doesn't think it's going to rust through if they didn't paint it in the first place. I asked this same question on the M Grills FB group(not the official manufacturer's page) and one guy responded that his was not painted either. If it does rust through the paint I put on, I will just do a better job and use some of your suggestions. Thanks for the information.
        Last edited by 70monte; May 20, 2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

The only M1 I'm familiar with has treads, not wheels.

Comment

• rwhfly
            rwhfly commented
            Editing a comment
            That would be a nice option for M Grills to offer! Maybe a cannon to keep off the hordes of hungry people picking at the cooking food, too.

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            The one I was thinking of was designed by a guy named Garand.

We do not paint the bottom's of the M1's. The bottoms are recessed up within a protected wall so they do not see the harsh environments. If you get any surface rust it would take much more than your life time for it to rust through 10 gauge American steel. (not Chinese steel) BIG difference.

Comment

Originally posted by M Grills View Post
            We do not paint the bottom's of the M1's. The bottoms are recessed up within a protected wall so they do not see the harsh environments. If you get any surface rust it would take much more than your life time for it to rust through 10 gauge American steel. (not Chinese steel) BIG difference.
            The only concern that I would have is that my grills and smokers sit under a covered and sided carport with a concrete floor. Last year while looking at the bottom of my Good One Open Range and Marshall, I discovered both had extensive rust and that there was condensation buildup on the underside of both smokers, possibly from the concrete and having covers on both. Both of these smokers had painted bottoms.

I'm curious if not having any paint on the bottom would make the problem even worse.

Comment

I`m not sure what the thickness of steel is on the underside of a Good One, but you will not rust through 10 gauge steel anytime soon on the M1.

Comment

Originally posted by M Grills View Post
                I`m not sure what the thickness of steel is on the underside of a Good One, but you will not rust through 10 gauge steel anytime soon on the M1.
                The main body and firebox of the Good Ones are 11 gauge steel. I'm not worried that the underside of the M1 will rust out soon but I would prefer that it didn't rust out at all. I put three coats of hi temp paint under it so it's all good. I guess if it rusts, so be it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here