Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Viper on M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Viper on M1

Did a test cook with a pit viper fan on the fireboard on the M1 for the first time. This was pretty awesome - one split per hour almost on the dot, no other adjustments the whole time.
    Attached Files

That is impressive. I really want a M1. I just have to convince myself to drop the coin to get one.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Drop it! Drop it like it’s hot!!!!

And then post pictures, because I want an M1 as well!

How large was the initial fire?

Comment

• smarks112
      smarks112 commented
      Editing a comment
      2/3 chimney and then a small split where the dots are. I cooked on it this weekend using the fan - with damper fully open it was harder to keep at 225 but still never got above 260 or below 220. With the top damper partially shut it locked into 220-235 really well. I tend to cook in the 250-275 range which seems like a more natural sweet spot with this set up. It produced really nice quality smoke

smarks112 Have you used your M1 as an offset without the Pit Viper? If so, do you notice a difference in taste between using and not using? Doesn't using the temp controller smolder the fire, so one wouldn't get the "best" smoke possible? I don't even know if I'm asking the right question.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      smarks112 What's your opinion on the difference in food taste/smoke profile between an offset and the M1 when using as a stick burner? I have an itch to buy a new cooker, but I want it to be something that I can use wood only. Thanks!

• smarks112
      smarks112 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never had another stick burner but have experience with charcoal smokers and have family members with Eggs. This produces far superior food IMO and it’s also amazing that it’s so flexible - can also use for charcoal smoking if don’t want to babysit as much or use as a normal grill. I really like the ability to raise and lower the grill grates when grilling.

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      smarks112 Apologies, I misread your post. I realize now that you were saying you used the M1 as an offset 10+ times before you used it with the temperature controller. Great to know!

Hard to see the smoke since it’s so light, but here is 4h in. The firebox picture is immediately when I opened it what it looked like. The fan is on at a low speed majority of the cook, so I think it is essentially just doing micro adjustments you would do on the damper automatically but the fire is definitely burning clean.
    Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice yard!

• rwhfly
      rwhfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Are the fire door vents closed?

• smarks112
      smarks112 commented
      Editing a comment
      with the fan on, yes

Can someone with an M1 confirm clearance needed behind the grill for the hood to open properly?

Comment

An M1 is on my wish list.

Comment

Do you need an adapter to attach the pitviper?

Comment

Originally posted by Azbobby124 View Post
          Do you need an adapter to attach the pitviper?
          It can be used without but fits better with the adapter they sell

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here