Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M Grills M1 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all I just want to pop on here and say I can't thank all of you enough. It's awesome to see everyone coming together and talking about their experiences with their M1's (good or bad) this helps us grow as a company and I strive on improving products the best I possibly can. So again, thank you all!

Just to address the stack gap with the damper. This was an issue when we first started to new M1 prototype stack. We would cut the inner flap piece and it would seal off perfect, but once the metal would get hot (ranging from different temperatures) the flap could get stuck or hard to open and close. So we allowed a gap in there just in case to allow any metal expansion from heat. This did hinder the ability to snuff out the coals completely like the older M1's, but the addition of the stack was a big improvement on airflow. I love the little gasket trick and will try that on my personal M1 and M36.

Keep that feedback coming and great looking cooks everyone!

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s great to see you pop in here!

I can see metal expansion being an issue. I've noticed when the grill is cool and up to indirect cooking temps, the grate slides easily back and forth, I usually use just one grate when doing a reverse sear so I can dump the hot coals in, and slide the grate over. After searing, the grate no longer slides. Also I noticed when the bottom firebox gets hot enough the vents on the door don't slide open and closed easily, I was going to call you to ask about this then I figured out this was my own user error, I had a wood fire that got out of control (too hot) and attempted to cool down using the vents. When using the bottom firebox w/ lump for low in slow it doesn't get hot enough to affect the vents sliding open and closed.

Comment

• M Grills
      M Grills commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Walt,

Have your tried loosening the bolts on the firebox door that holds the slide? Sounds like there is just a little too much tension there to not allow heat expansion.

• Walt Dockery
      Walt Dockery commented
      Editing a comment
      No because I don't think I will have the problem again. It only occurred when I had a hot wood fire and attempted to cool it down by using the vents. Now that I have learned the cooker better I doubt I will have the issue again, if I do I will loosen the bolts.

If you guys want your logs to ignite quickly, throw the splits under the fire box to preheat before you throw them into the fire box. We also got a bunch of rain the last couple of days, so it’s helping to dry the wood up as much as possible before it hits the fire.
    Attached Files

Comment

Recent cooks
      Click image for larger version

Name:	8F7015BC-E2DD-4EC1-8B4C-4010755836BB.jpeg
Views:	721
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	860216Click image for larger version

Name:	5920498F-E4CA-4761-BC49-AFCAB847EE98.jpeg
Views:	739
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	860217Click image for larger version

Name:	9CED48FB-FFDA-49C2-8658-DB5629885DC1.jpeg
Views:	706
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	860218Click image for larger version

Name:	798AD192-7889-4578-A870-1CCD152112C9.jpeg
Views:	732
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	860219

Comment

Very informative thread. I'm on the verge of ordering an m1 but, might have a bit of hesitation after reading this. It seems that grilling direct, over coal is difficult. I do a lot of grilling on my bge(burgers, dogs, sausages, pork chops, etc) so this is pretty concerning to me.

Often times I'll have a party and need to cook 15+ burgers. Is this not doable on the m1? Should I stick to my bge? How many "normal" say 6oz burgers can you fit on the m1?

Wonder if the lonestar grillz "adjustable charcoal grill" might be better for my situation.

Originally posted by M Grills View Post
        First of all I just want to pop on here and say I can't thank all of you enough. It's awesome to see everyone coming together and talking about their experiences with their M1's (good or bad) this helps us grow as a company and I strive on improving products the best I possibly can. So again, thank you all!

Just to address the stack gap with the damper. This was an issue when we first started to new M1 prototype stack. We would cut the inner flap piece and it would seal off perfect, but once the metal would get hot (ranging from different temperatures) the flap could get stuck or hard to open and close. So we allowed a gap in there just in case to allow any metal expansion from heat. This did hinder the ability to snuff out the coals completely like the older M1's, but the addition of the stack was a big improvement on airflow. I love the little gasket trick and will try that on my personal M1 and M36.

Keep that feedback coming and great looking cooks everyone!
        Can you make a cap for it?

Also any thoughts about gaskets burning up or answers to my above questions ? I've already had a bge and dealt with poor gaskets.

Thanks!
        Last edited by Ecb; June 16, 2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• smarks112
          smarks112 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think it’s "difficult" to grill direct at all with this. I think if you want to do long, 2 zone highly precise grilling that it’s not the core strength of this grill but still possible. It really excels for longer cooks out of the firebox and then can always light a half chimney and sear at end. For basic two zone reverse sear steak it’s way more than sufficient there IMO.

Thanks for your help!

It seems like the general consensus is people wish the firebox was slightly lower. Wonder if this is something that will change in the future.

Comment

Does anyone use the adjustable charcoal grate as a Santa Maria type grill? I guess my question is, is there enough vertical room to control the heat by raising or lowering the grate? Most of my cooking involves grilling, although it would be nice to have an all in one type cooker that excels at smoking and grilling. I know I can use two zone grilling techniques, but I have been using the "Gabby’s Grills" attachment on my Weber for grilling, and really like the ability to control the heat by raising and lowering the grill. I have several different units now, but I could score major points with the wife if I could get that down to one really good one!

Comment

• smarks112
            smarks112 commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely - love this feature of the grill. There is a substantial difference in grate temp between lowest and highest setting. The highest setting is so close to the grates you are pretty much cooking on direct charcoal.

• rwhfly
            rwhfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Plenty of vertical room to get a big difference in heat from top to bottom. This is a great all in one charcoal griller and wood or charcoal smoker.

• Berner9
            Berner9 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will pull one grate so I can slide the other grate side to side for more control.

Really close to pulling the trigger on the M1. I have been struggling to figure out how to integrate into an outdoor kitchen but think I have it figured out. Can anyone confirm how much clearance is needed behind the grill to allow the hood to fully open? I am coming from years of kettle and WSM smoking and love the ability to stick burn but also grill.

Comment

Are you guys just running your temp probes under the lid?

Comment

• smarks112
              smarks112 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep

I finally pulled the trigger on an m36. The new fire basket pushed me over the edge. Hope I made the right decision. 😂

Comment

• asdgrube
              asdgrube commented
              Editing a comment
              Azbobby124 please post your thoughts on the m36

I’m experimenting in the fire box today. I removed the charcoal basket that normally sits above the ash catcher. This way I can fit some bigger splits in to the fire box. I’ve also noticed that the coal bed tends to fall down through the mesh grates of the charcoal basket so removing it seemed like a good idea. So far so good! Does anyone else smoke like this?
            Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              glitchy here’s your M1 thread and stick burner smoking.

One of my favorite things about the M1 is how perfect it cooks chicken (all types) from the firebox. Sticks built like any fire with no temp monitoring or adjustment and chimney open settle in around 375-400F which is just perfect for chicken.

Comment

Ordered mine a few weeks ago. Waiting on the M36. Lots of great knowledge here. Hopefully there are no negative changes from the change in ownership. Was a little worried about that, but let’s see.

Comment

I placed an order for an M1 over the weekend and am (somewhat) patiently waiting for it.

Comment

• ChicagoQ
                  ChicagoQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guess we’ll be in our learning curve together

• Bross
                  Bross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ChicagoQ - Let me know when you get yours; I haven't heard anything from M Grill since the order confirmation.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here