Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M Grills M1 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M Grills M1 Owners

Who out there owns an M1 smoker? I’m trying to get in contact with more owners of this smoker so that we can learn from each other.
    Attached Files

I would like to own one. Have had my eye on an M1 for a few years. Really like them and the functionality it offers.

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me know if you have any questions.

I placed an order for an M1 Stainless today through my local dealer (Gentry's BBQ). I will post impressions when it gets here I am guessing will be a month or so.

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of it. It will be fun to exchange settings and set up techniques. Do you plan on using charcoal wood or both?

My plan is to use both lump and wood, and I talked to Chris at Gentry's about getting wood delivered by the pallet or half pallet. My question with the M1 is the firebox large enough to fit full splits or will I need to chop them down crosswise? I'd rather not have to buy a chopsaw, not because of the cost I'm just trying not to accumulate more stuff.

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Full splits will fit no problem. The fire box is just long enough for a split or two.

I bought a M1 grill in 2018. Use it all the time. The adjustable grate is great for grilling. The taste of smoked food (when I can get it right) I like way more than the flavor coming out of my Karubecue.

I'm still working on my fire management skills with this. I have the older model, not sure if that matters much.

I've had the fire go out a lot when smoking longer-cooking items like briskets and ribs. I have no problem starting the fire, but I do have issues keeping the fire going for long cooks. The fire has been going out with the firebox vents half-open. Sometimes I even open the door, put a new (dry) split on, wait for it to catch, wait 2 more minutes, blow on it, and get it going good. Then I shut the firebox door and leave the vents open for a few minutes. Then close the vents half-way. Ten minutes after the door is closed the fire is out. So I restart the fire and leave the vents open. The fire goes out.

I've tried various configurations of big and little splits to keep airflow and the fire going, but haven't hit on the perfect recommendation yet. I've tried using the M1 grill with the firebox just a crack open too, and a split warming on my Weber over some coals. No matter what it seems like I have to restart the entire fire at least once in a 5 hour period. Briskets require quite a lot more watching.

This makes temperature management a little harder too. If I overshoot temp I run a hose on the top of it to lower the temperature.
    Last edited by Green griller; February 9, 2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll make some suggestions that will hopefully help with your fire management. Start the cook off by preheating your smoker with the use of some charcoal to get a really nice bed of coals going. After the charcoal lights and burns off for a little while, you can start adding splits of wood. I like to build a small fire and let it burn cleanly by keeping the door open. I’ve found that the door being open produces a much better tasting product because the wood isn’t starved for oxygen.

• Green griller
      Green griller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response, Chad. How often are you adding wood and how big are the pieces?
      Last edited by Green griller; February 14, 2020, 05:33 PM.

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m adding a split of post oak wood about every 45 minutes to 1 hour. My splits are about the length of the firebox.

Originally posted by Green griller View Post
    I bought a M1 grill in 2018. Use it all the time. The adjustable grate is great for grilling. The taste of smoked food (when I can get it right) I like way more than the flavor coming out of my Karubecue.

I'm still working on my fire management skills with this. I have the older model, not sure if that matters much.

I've had the fire go out a lot when smoking longer-cooking items like briskets and ribs. I have no problem starting the fire, but I do have issues keeping the fire going for long cooks. The fire has been going out with the firebox vents half-open. Sometimes I even open the door, put a new (dry) split on, wait for it to catch, wait 2 more minutes, blow on it, and get it going good. Then I shut the firebox door and leave the vents open for a few minutes. Then close the vents half-way. Ten minutes after the door is closed the fire is out. So I restart the fire and leave the vents open. The fire goes out.

I've tried various configurations of big and little splits to keep airflow and the fire going, but haven't hit on the perfect recommendation yet. I've tried using the M1 grill with the firebox just a crack open too, and a split warming on my Weber over some coals. No matter what it seems like I have to restart the entire fire at least once in a 5 hour period. Briskets require quite a lot more watching.

This makes temperature management a little harder too. If I overshoot temp I run a hose on the top of it to lower the temperature.
    If you leave the door cracked open does it get too hot?

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      When I cook on my 2019 M1, I leave the door open so that the fire burns cleaner. The fire can get too hot using this method so it’s important to manage your fire. It’s best to use a small clean burning fire rather than a big choked down and smoldering fire.

• Green griller
      Green griller commented
      Editing a comment
      As I understand it from Aaron Franklin's book, the size/dryness of the wood and how often you add is how you prevent the smoker from getting too hot. I just started experimenting with this method late last year.

When the smoker gets too hot, I've had luck spraying the entire smoker with a small spray bottle constantly for about 5 min. For drastic reductions in temperature I use the hose like mentioned above.
      Last edited by Green griller; February 14, 2020, 05:42 PM.

Just found out my M1 shipped last Friday. I move into my new place this weekend, so with any luck I could have the maiden low n slow cook on presidents day.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats! Keep us informed and show us with pics!

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations on your purchase! I think you’ll be extremely happy with the M1.

Very interested in the M1. My concern is keeping it clean or cleaning it because the charcoal grate is above the firebox. From what I've read it is suggested that a piece of foil be placed on top of the wood firebox. Have you found this to work well or do you have a different suggestion?

Another question: how close to the cooking grate can you get the charcoal grate? I like to cook my steaks slowly at low temp then quickly sear - maybe a minute on each side - so the food needs to be close to the charcoal.

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
      chad.gibbs.3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Placing aluminum foil on top of the fire box works very well. It’s an extremely easy clean up doing this. You can bring the adjustable grill grate all the way up to the cooking grate. If you wanted to sear steaks directly over charcoal, this is easily done with the M1.

• Walt Dockery
      Walt Dockery commented
      Editing a comment
      Second what chad Gibbs says. Foil works very well for cleaning out both ash and grease, and I prefer it to other grills I’ve had where you need to get out a shop vac to clean out ash. After using the charcoal grate for a few cooks, I fold up the aluminum foil into a package containing all the ash and grease and it goes into the ash, and foil is replaced. Takes 2-3 minutes. The charcoal grate lifts all the way up, you can literally touch the cooking grate with the searing box, which I recommend.

First cook on my M1... it arrived today and I was working so it was chicken. Easily the best smoked chicken I’ve ever had. I was expecting much more of a learning curve - this was my first ever cook with real wood (used oak) and I used no charcoal after seasoning. Mid cook my toddler pooped in the tub during bath time and started pouring down rain in the 40s and was super easy to bring back to temp. I cannot believe how easy temp was to control! Very impressed and can’t wait to cook on this over and over. Seems like a great way to spend social isolation over the next several months haha.

Attached Files

Comment

• rwhfly
      rwhfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! I pulled the trigger on buying an M1 last Saturday and it is being delivered tomorrow. Can’t wait to try it over the weekend.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      smarks112 Nice - hope you saved that temp profile for Nate's scrapbook - I imagine he and everyone will get a kick out of that years from now.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      This is really funny!! I’m a dad so I get it!!

My M1 should be here Monday! Can’t wait

Comment

First week with the M1 has been great! I have found the firebox to be very easy to cook from using either charcoal or wood. I have tried a couple cooks now just using a two-zone charcoal set up and had a little harder time controlling temp. Might just be still getting used to it, but anyone have similar experience or tips? How are you using the firebox door vents, chimney damper and amount of charcoal to regulate the temp?

Comment

• smarks112
        smarks112 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chad, I agree with all of that, I am more asking how others have found best ways to dial in temp when charcoal grilling (not using the fire box, but rather than charcoal grill grates) in a 2-zone set up.

• chad.gibbs.3
        chad.gibbs.3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t realize you were talking about charcoal grilling before. Sorry! Haha. I’m not the person to ask on m1 charcoal grilling. I grill more often on my other charcoal grill. M1 is for smoking at my house.

• rwhfly
        rwhfly commented
        Editing a comment
        See my post below on how I grilled steaks. New to this but apparently you can't put pics in a comment just a new post - hence the new post with a pic below...

I grilled some ribeyes on the M1 over the weekend but I didn't use the 2-zone setup. I normally cook the steaks sous vide to 125 then get a really hot fire and sear for a minute or so on each side (and 15 seconds on each edge). This time I used Meathead's modified approach - sous vide to 125, chill in ice water then refrigerator to refrigerator temperature over a few hours, set a smallish stick fire in the firebox and smoke steaks at 225 to 115 internal, then dump a chimney of lit coals into my searing box on the charcoal grate, heat the cooking grate up for 5 - 10 minutes and sear for a minute or so on each side to desired level of char. Came out great with slightly more rare than medium rare pink from top to bottom except the char/seared surface.

The only issue I had was getting the stick fiire to burn correctly. My wood is all unsplit just as it came for the fireplace which I think is too large for a small fire. I've got a Kindling Cracker coming today and plan to split some wood in half and try that. Might even go down to 1" on a side like I saw when I took a 3 day BBQ session with Myron Mixon in GA. This is a picture of his wood size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.JPEG
Views:	1673
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	820619

Comment

• smarks112
        smarks112 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am experimenting with 2 zone set ups today with no food on and will share results (my main use would be chicken wings and thighs/pork chops where some smoke and sear is nice). My initial takeaways are the grill in 2 zone is efficient but relatively sensitive to amount of charcoal on temp (not a problem just good to know), and that big swings/management in temp are easier to get from firebox

• smarks112
        smarks112 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also for log size - the splits I bought are on the smaller side and have been working really well, so I think your inclination is probably good. I also echo prior comments that starting with a charcoal load has maintained a really nice fire.

Quick Update from Original Post On Charcoal Grilling...

I have been playing around with this without food on it today... some expanded observations on charcoal grilling with a 2 zone set up using the charcoal searing box and a Fireboard to monitor ambient temperature over the indirect zone.
      • A full chimney of lump charcoal tended to naturally settle in around 475F, 2/3 chimney at ~375-400 and 1/2 chimney ~325 over the indirect zones... it stayed in those ranges for ~1 hour with then some gradual decline.
      • I have found it difficult to modify temps as drastically when charcoal grilling than the precision you have when cooking from the firebox (with charcoal or logs). I am sure some of it is still learning curve, but I also think it makes sense when you consider location of the firebox vents compared to airflow control of charcoal grilling from the grates. I mentioned this before, but it is shocking how easy it is to dial in temp from the firebox.
      • It is probably also net ~10 mins faster to bring up to temp when charcoal grilling
      • I think for shorter cooks, like chicken thighs/breasts/wings, pork chops, and reverse-seared steaks, the flexibility of being able to go 2-zone is awesome, but I see myself cooking from the firebox more often.
      • I am also interested in some hybrid methods for things like prime rib or tri-tip - main longer cook with splits from the firebox but finishing with a chimney full on the grill grates and searing at the end.
      Definitely interested if others have different experiences to share!

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
        chad.gibbs.3 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is awesome! Please continue to share your experiences! Let’s grow this community!

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        I wanted to add to this. I cooked two pork loins tonight using a 2 zone setup with the divided charcoal grate. I partially filled one side of the grate with unlit briquettes and then lit 10 briquettes in my chimney. When they were ashed over, I dumped them in a corner of the grate with some wood chunks spread around. With the lower vent set at about 1/8" open and the exhaust at about 1/4 or slightly more open, I was able to maintain about 250 degrees on the thermometer for the 2 hr cook.

• 70monte
        70monte commented
        Editing a comment
        I had about half of the charcoal left unburned. I didn't fill that side of the grate as full as it could go so I think I could have gotten quite a long burn if I had. I love how stable temps are once you get them dialed in.

Got mine on Tuesday after Michigan got a stay at home order Monday night. Glad the shipping company is essential...

Anyways got it seasoned and played around with it that night. Wednesday was to busy so finally got to use it today.

Ended up starting using the fire box. Did some chicken wings for an appetizer and then did two Porterhouse steaks. Ended up starting a chimney and added it to the sear box. Finished the steaks over high heat.

Going to try a longer smoke this weekend with some ribs if it’s not to rainy.

Going to be a fun summer!

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
        chad.gibbs.3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep us posted! Great to hear you received your new smoker/grill!

Now to get serious - first brisket! Salt and pepper only, oak splits for cook, wrapped in butcher paper around the 7 hour mark, stayed around 250F for the cook, held for 4h before slicing. Poured rain for almost the majority of the cook and all things considered the M1 was able to push through the weather pretty well. Had fire go low once but was able to get it back started with the door open and blowing on the embers. Perfect smoke flavor and very moist. I do think I prob overshot the cook by 20-30 mins at the end but great end result.
      Attached Files

Comment

• chad.gibbs.3
        chad.gibbs.3 commented
        Editing a comment
        The m1 cooks a killer brisket!

• rwhfly
        rwhfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great. Can't wait to try one on my new M1.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here