Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New M36 Arrival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations, that is nice.

Comment

Some highlights of the first cook:

- It was quite easy to the smoke right. I lit a 2/3 chimney of lump charcoal and added it to the fire box once it glowing. Once I added the splits it easily came to the 275* target temp I was shooting for and the smoke ran clear within 15-20 minutes, at which point I added the spare ribs.
      - I used cherry splits my neighbor seasoned himself - they all flamed very quickly and I ended up adding a split every 30 minutes throughout the cook. I quickly realized that I would run out of the cherry before the wrap, so I picked up some oak from a local gas station and split the wood to a good size for the smoker size.
      - I was surprised by how much wood I used - I think I have found a good source for seasoned wood at a reasonable price, so that should help out.
      - the difference between the true temp reading and the probe at grill level was a steady 20* until I added the ribs at which point it was 30-40* - I wonder if I had the probe too close to the meat.
      -the heat was higher closer to the stack opening based on how the ribs and rib tips nearer to the opening cooked.
      -the ribs had a great smoky flavor - not too much. I just used salt-pepper and then added some bbq sauce when I wrapped. The color was a good dark red mahogany.

I am super pumped about this purchase and well it performed. I did try to grill some wings from the fire box on Saturday that didn't work so well - but that is for a separate post.

Thanks for all your encouraging words.

Rob
      Last edited by Rob whatever; August 16, 2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Love me some cherry wood. It makes you want to be around the aroma of smoking meat.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 16, 2021, 11:54 AM.

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        Great aroma, burned cleanly and left a good coal bed.

Rob

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the write up on the 1st cook!

This weekend it was a pork butt. First thing. I find it really fun to get the smoker rolling and seeing the first log catch fire. It took a little over 30 minutes from lighting a chimney until I got clean smoke. From then it was smooth sailing, just adding a stick every 30 minutes, tending to the fire or so I thought.

I had to pick up my son from soccer about 3 hours into the cook, so I dropped a good sized split on the coal beds, waited until it caught on fire and then hit the road. That plan worked until I ran into traffic on the way home. I kept checking the grill temp on my Signals and it started taking a dive at the 30 minute mark. When It got down to 230* I called my wife to have her add a split. I cut off the express way to avoid traffic by going cross country and proceeded to hit every red light - my son thought that was hilarious. By the time I got home the fire had died - my wife, bless her heart, grabbed the biggest split she could find and dropped it right in the middle of the coal bed, immediately killing it. Anyway, I lit another chimney and 30 minutes later I was back up to 275*. I lost about an hour of heat but the pork butt held a 140* or so for the entire down time. The butt came out wonderfully - the quality of the smoke flavor is really good so far. I used seasoned oak splits the entire cook.

Next week, I will do chickens and cook from the fire box - I'm not sure I can get the temps up high enough but I plan on putting a full chimney to start the coal bed and then load it up with wood -hickory this time. I will take the baffle of the fire box opening and move the chicken closer to that area. Any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

Rob

Comment

Looks great, I like that finish. Also, looks like they have upgraded the wheels vs. what I have on my M1 (ordered in late 2019 or early 2020), the wheels were something I feel like could have been improved so nice to see they did that. Are the wheels hard, it almost looks like there's a rubbery material on them?

FWIW for cooks when you have to leave, lump/charcoal in the firebox works great, maintains temps once you have them dialed in without the need for a fan/controller.

Comment

• Rob whatever
          Rob whatever commented
          Editing a comment
          Walt, thanks for the comments. Regarding the wheels, I ordered an upgrade as I was worried I wouldn't be able move it across my brick patio well. The tires are rubber.

Originally posted by Walt Dockery View Post
        Looks great, I like that finish. Also, looks like they have upgraded the wheels vs. what I have on my M1 (ordered in late 2019 or early 2020), the wheels were something I feel like could have been improved so nice to see they did that. Are the wheels hard, it almost looks like there's a rubbery material on them?

FWIW for cooks when you have to leave, lump/charcoal in the firebox works great, maintains temps once you have them dialed in without the need for a fan/controller.
        Interesting, I wonder if he would offer that as an aftermarket upgrade for those of us that already have an M1/M36.

Comment

• 70monte
          70monte commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure they would. I upgraded the wheels on my M1 after I bought it used. I called Travis and asked him to order me some 6" castors which he sent to me when they arrived. Mine are not rubber but work much better than the 4" stock castors.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here