Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Lonestar offset owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Lonestar offset owners

During yesterday's 18# brisket cook.
    I was trying to maintain 225° or so. I learned that adding a split ever 20 minutes or so seemed about right except after a while it seemed to start losing its coal base and started cooling down some.
    So I switched to about a 270° or so cook. This seemed to help a lot at keeping the coal base.
    So I'm thinking this is where she likes to cook best at.

Does this seem like the best way to run this pit?

Also yesterdays cook took about 10 hours to get the flat to 195°. It was jiggly and tender.

I think in the past I've been over cooking my briskets. Last week end took me 23 hours though it was good, I think it was over cooked. I did wrap it in paper where as yesterday's I wrapped in foil. My first at wrapping in foil.

Your input would be helpful.
    Thanks

Hey Joe. You can run it around 225* but as you said the coal bed will deplete and you’ll have to have to stay on top of it to maintain temps.
    Running it closer to 250-275 it is easier to keep that coal bed going.
    Most cooks I do I tend to go with the higher temps.

Do you have a basket in the firebox? It’ll be easier to keep a coal bed going as you will be able to keep a smaller, more compact and hotter fire.

I have a 16”x18” basket and cut my splits in half.
    Hope this helps.

Steve B

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. Yes I have Lonestars basket.
      I haven't tried smoking without it.

FWIW, I’m pretty sure 275 is Aaron Franklin’s magic number. I’ve heard and read him saying 275 many times about both his home and restaurant stick burners.

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. And yes I remember him saying that as well. It does seem to run better at the higher temp.

IMHO an 18# brisket at 225 would take an excessively long time. For what it’s worth 250 is by far the lowest I go on anything and usually it’s 275-300 on most cooks

Comment

Well, all I have to add is that I got "The Email" last Thursday.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        We'll be chatting soon Steve B

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        OKAY! The calls seem to take a little longer now. They're business must be really good and I am guessing the pandemic has hurt as well.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to to it. Whatever you need if I can help. 👍

For offsets they really let you know how hot they want to run. My COS was a solid 250-325. I'd get the split size down, don't overload her, and let her ride.

Comment

My girl Shirley 24x36 runs sweet at 250-275

Comment

Joetee, please remind me of which offset you have?

I run my 20 x42 at a target of 250F to 275F. An offset is going to bob up and down. What is important to me is to keep a flame going but not get a run away. I do build a good size coal bed in the beginning and I also use the LSG "fire management basket" (see my Avatar).

I keep my door vent at a little over 1" opening and feed splits that are cut to length in a bandsaw in my woodworking shop so they fit in the basket well. I have found splits that are too small evaporate and those about 3" in diameter are best. When adding splits I keep the door open until they are flaming and then close it (i.e. keep the flame going). I sometimes add two splits at a time and as long as I am throttling combustion air, they will not run away too badly.

I should also add that I personally avoid big briskets on the LSG 'cause I don't want to tend fire for too many hours. 8 is about my limit or then I swap to a Yoder pellet grill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210123_225834621.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	986299
          Last edited by Alphonse; February 7, 2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like their basket. Didn’t have them when I got mine. But will get it when my current one burns out.

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            @Alphonse
            20x36 offset horizontal. Love this smoker.
            I did a brisket yesterday. Did about what you did. Took 10 hours to get the flat to 195°. First time I wrapped in foil. I always wrap in paper. I think paper works much better. This brisket was the only one Sam's club had. Really fatty. But it came out juicy and tender.
            Last edited by Joetee; February 7, 2021, 07:18 PM.

I’ve never been able to maintain temps below 250F for any length of time. I tried for a while then gave up because I’d always start dropping temp then overcompensate then have a period of panic around 330-340. 250F to 275F is perfect for my 24x48.

Nice knowing everyone else came to the same conclusion.

CaptainMike congrats on the call!

Comment

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried to run at 225. Same problem as you. Then went up to about 270° +/- and had better results.

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            Smaller pieces of wood more often make it easier to keep temps close to where you want. Also experiment with leaving the fire box door open. And close the drain valve to help intake air coming in. A lot of air can be pulled into that valve. You need the air going into the fire box.

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            Joetee good thought on the drain valve. I always run with mine open. I'll close it up next time I fire it up...hopefully this weekend.

I have the 24x48 pipe stick burner . Thing holds temp like crazy . I keep my temps around 240 on average , not afraid of 250 . Feed wood as needed. Have the basket , like it .

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
            Bad Hat BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            What Brand? I am running numbers and looking at options to replace my Okie Joe..

For temp management with a LSG, use smaller pieces of wood more often make it easier to keep temps close to where you want. Also experiment with leaving the fire box door open. And close the drain valve to help intake air coming in. A lot of air can be pulled into that valve. You need the air going into the fire box.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            I always use the fire box door to control my temps and keep the vent closed. Only downside is that it does turn the side of the fire box brown. But it wipes off pretty easy.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Great first hand knowledge. Thanks!

It also burns wood up faster. But it really depends on the cook your doing. Not all are the same. It's nice to have a few options.

Comment

I can maintain 275 on Okie Joe Longhorn ; peaks and valleys with anything below that

I ran 2 turkeys (spatchcocked) at a steady 300 and they they were the crowd pleaser on T-Day

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              OKJ!!!

Let it rock at 275. That is where I cook everything. The 225 F is just guide and I personally think, way too low. 275 F is perfect for me.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Preach It!!!

Being a stick burner manufacturer 😄, I vote for 275 too. There are very few reasons, if any, to cook at 225. Plus: your cooker obviously tells you it likes to run at 275. Case closed 😁

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              They’re just like women in that regard

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Yassuh, but Stickburners need way less attention.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here