Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spareribs on the Lone Star 20 x 42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spareribs on the Lone Star 20 x 42

My son and I had a great day yesterday cooking a couple of slabs, testing some axes, and trialing a new back porch burner that I am tuning.

The taste testers said the ribs and sides were good!

BTW, I do like the LSG pit. It has more than enough room for the cooks that I do and it is easy to move in and out of the storage lane of my other gear. I have no "buyer's remorse" on this pit and like the size. The real test is that it gets used.

My son took this photo and called it "pimping my pit":

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210123_184905717.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	979486

This 1 1/8" opening in the firebox door vent will get you ~250F on the gulf coast all day as long as you keep poking the splits in it.

Name:	PXL_20210123_225834621.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	979480

Some of my favorite wood choppers. The Gransfor Bruk in the middle is awesome for peeling the bark off the splits. I don't like bark on my splits and the GB Small Forest Axe does a great job of eliminating it.

Name:	Axes.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	979485

Testing the new Rec Teq Matador burner that I have been tuning. We used it to fry the bacon, onions, and peppers for the beans. The burner swallows up that 10" cast iron skillet but it works really well with cast iron. We also used it with a 14 1/2" skillet for some stir fried cabbage. I machined some burner grate adapters for my monster skillet. I haven't yet used the Wok that came with it but that trial is up next.

Name:	PXL_20210123_222239483.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	979482

Here are the ribs, just sauced, and ready for the last 1 hour on the pit. Had the obligatory Conecuh sausage and beans as well.

Name:	PXL_20210123_233007361.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	979484

Pulling it all off and heading to the kitchen:

Name:	PXL_20210124_000219270.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	979481

Ready for serving it up to the taste testers, who were very pleased by the way. The 14 1/2" CI skillet had also been used on the new Matador (modified with grate adapters) and it worked as well as I had hoped. It is my roux skillet and was one of the reasons I bought the new burner.

Name:	PXL_20210124_000823046.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	979483

Looking real good. Looks like you're having way too much fun!

Comment

Wow, great post!

Everything looks great. I want some of those spares. How do you like the body shape of the LSG? I am deciding on going with that style or the traditional barrel look.

Also, those Gransfor Bruk axes are a thing of beauty. I have a couple of those and I love them.

Comment

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the shape of the LSG 20 series pits. For the small incremental cost, I recommend going to the 42" long pit. The hexagonal type shape maximizes the top rack headroom/clearance and capability as compared to a round cross section. Its "cross flow" hot gas recirculation, as LSG calls it, works extremely well.

Yes, the GB Small Forest Axe is my absolute favorite. The steel they use is awesome at holding an edge. It is a bark removing machine.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet! Thanks for the info! Alphonse

I'm glad you like your pit. Lookin' forward to your review of the Matador with the wok.

Comment

Congrats and great pics. The food looks awesome. Yes, the concern with an offset is "will it get used very often". I've owned one for over 4 years now and I have other grills/smokers that can do the job when I want to do a rack of ribs. But I still have no owners remorse. It's good to have the beast when I want to entertain. Still waiting (COVID) to do a whole pig on it and have a big party.

Congratulations again. Your offset is fantastic.

Comment

Ice lookin’ feast right there !!!!!
        I could go for a plate or 2,,,,,

Comment

Gorgeous cook and all the equipment. That LSG is a sweet unit.

Comment

"Testing the new Rec Teq Matador burner"

You just gave me a case of MCS.

Comment

I'm having major "pit envy" right now. Nicer looking cook, too.

Comment

Looks great! What a good looking BBQ feast!

Some day when I retire I'll have a stick burner...

Comment

Looks great! I like letting the meat drip into the beans for that extra flavor.

Comment

Top notch results! And that cooker and burner.......love it! I’ve looked at some burners like that, but didn’t think they were very stout on the build.

that thing is heavy duty! The wok cooking would be great, but would also be great for paella! Hmmmmmmm
                  Last edited by barelfly; January 25, 2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

That cook and LSG Pit looks great!! Just to throw in some bonus info: the "Gränsfors Bruk" is a Swedish axe. Top quality, I have a few myself. Cool!

Comment

• Alphonse
                      Alphonse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Henrik, couldn't agree more on the quality of the Gransfor Bruk! That Small Forrest Axe is my favorite of all my axes and I have a few. (By the way, I have no Swedish alphabet, "a" with diaeresis readily available on my keyboard, so forgive my poor spelling of Gransfor!)
                      Last edited by Alphonse; January 25, 2021, 09:13 AM.

Beautiful pit and cook! It makes me want to get a better offset, haha, and I just got a new cooker last week (SNS Kamado).

Outdoor burners like that come in extremely handy - I have several, mostly used for brewing beer, but also for seafood boils and the occasional outdoor frying.

Comment

- Yowza, that is a darn fine looking spread.
                      - I have been eating vicariously through all the pictures folks have been posting of there cooks. Can't wait to get into the swing of things again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here