Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 inch series smoker griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 inch series smoker griddle

Can anyone offer tips on using the flat top griddle? What fire works best? How hot? Configuration of the pit? Etc Thanks
    Last edited by Joetee; January 19, 2021, 07:57 AM.

I have not used it a lot but occasionally cook breakfast on it when I am spending the day tending fire. My son usually comes over and we enjoy a day of cooking and we start off with something to eat.

Since we are using it early in the day's cook, there's usually a startup fire underway and it gets really hot with flames lapping on it. We typically cook in a cast iron skillet on it. BTW, it takes just a few seconds on each side to warm up the tortillas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast on the LSG 1.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	976545

Click image for larger version

Name:	breakfast on the LSG 2.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	976544

Attached Files

Comment

So would a regular 225 cook chamber temp be hot enough cook on the griddle?

Comment

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        From my limited experience, yes. The skillet approach that I use would likely not work and you'd cook direct on the griddle.

Well I just learned that 225 to 250° is considered a medium heat temp on the griddle.

Comment

Anyone else with experience on the LSG griddle?

Comment

Just a little info that i have learned using the griddle.
          i no longer worry about chamber temp at all using the griddle. I get more uniform heat if i just build the fire on the fire grate without a basket. I now it's hot enough if the food sizzles on the griddle. If you want it good and hot it's best to let the fire turn into a bed of coals. Lump charcoal works really good for this. If you are using wood then use smaller splits because larger splits block the heat.
          I have an infrared thermometer but I am not really using it. Still not too sure how to use it on the griddle. But when it's hot you will know it's hot. If it's too hot open your chamber lid a little bit and you can experiment with the firebox door. Use your poker and poke the fire down a little bit to spread it out.
          An ideal temperature is not what I look for. You just want it hot enough to cook your food to your desire.
          I hope this helps somebody. And yes I still have lots to learn myself.
          Last edited by Joetee; January 16, 2022, 10:59 AM.

Comment

When you are cooking in the main chamber, should I leave my griddle in place? Or do you guys store it away until you want to griddle?

Comment

I leave mine in place. I'm thinking that it might protect the lid from discoloration due to the concentrated heat also it acts like a heat sink being so thick to store energy.
              Unless I'm using the Grate in the fire box to grill steaks hamburgers etc. I remove the griddle and leave the lid open.
              Last edited by Joetee; January 16, 2022, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Joetee get an infrared thermometer. Priceless when it come to griddles and cast iron skillets. It will let you know if the plate or the skillet will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                  Joetee get an infrared thermometer. Priceless when it come to griddles and cast iron skillets. It will let you know if the plate or the skillet will suffice.
                  I have one it's a fairly decent one I have not really learned how to use it. Or understand that I should say. I just need to practice with it more to figure it out

Comment

Have you done anymore cooking on the firebox griddle? I'll be trying mine out in the warmer weather

Comment

I have used mine 4 times, even did a doctored frozen pizza that turned out very good even had a little wood flavor. I did cook that inside the firebox though. I treat it like my Blackstone griddle, I cook on when it is 400-450 when checked with an IR. I scrape anything residual off of it and hit it with canola oil while still warm. It looks good and has worked well each time.

Comment

Try making some fajitas on your griddle. yummy. Even hamburgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-Sid View Post
                          Have you done anymore cooking on the firebox griddle? I'll be trying mine out in the warmer weather
                          I really like smoking brats in the chamber and then rolling them around on the griddle to finish the outside to my liking. They really come out great this way.

Also, smash burgers are great on the griddle.
                          Last edited by Joetee; January 29, 2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Mike-Sid
                            Mike-Sid commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great idea. Does it give the casing the proper snap, and not tough?

I'm not sure. I've never really thought about it. I smoke them for about an hour. Griddle then until they look good to me. It don't take long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here