Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

charcoal-"s"-basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JakeT
    replied
    Steve B im thinking I simply made a mistake looking for the option of being lazy.

You didn’t come across harsh just truthful. Expensive experiment on my part lol.

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    It’s an offset pipe smoker. It likes wood. I don’t think I would ever even try using a fan controller. And I will never use charcoal, be it KBB or lump. It’s a pit that needs attention all day.
    Sorry if I come across harsh. I’m not trying to.

But I think you got this pit for the flavor profile that stick burners can provide and the joy of tending a fire. Not for the convenience.
    Just my thoughts.

If you have any questions about your pit that I may be of help with please contact me. I’ve had mine going on 5yrs now.
    SteveB

Leave a comment:

• JakeT
    started a topic Charcoal "S" Basket

Charcoal "S" Basket

So today I took my new basket for a test drive in my LSG 24x48 paired with KBB, almond wood chunks, FireBoard 2 with the fan. It held temp well but had substantially more white smoke than I would have preferred. I ended up pulling the ribs and chuck to wrap and finish in the oven because I feared the bitter creosote taste.

The bitter over smoked flavor is definitely there but I’m hoping it will dilute in theTroutman Texas red chili.

my question is this...what is everyone’s method when using a FireBoard fan and charcoal/chunk combo? I never really saw thin blue smoke at all...am I doing something wrong?

the idea of set and forget in an offset is alluring but not at the price of flavor.

As alway, thanks for your guys’ input and wisdom!

Jake

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here