Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

charcoal-"s"-basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphonse
    commented on 's reply
    Dewes, try some B&B or other all natural briquettes sans saw dust, wax, limestone binder, etc.. All natural briquettes should be ground lump formed with a bit of corn starch or other binder.

• Dewesq55
    replied
    You always get more white smoke with charcoal than with a hot wood fire. Weird smoke isn't all that bad. What you don't want is gray or black smoke. I burn lump charcoal using a stoking fan fairly often when I want to tightly control temperature. The flavor isn't the same as a log fire, but it isn't bad, either. It's mostly just different. I haven't tried to burn briquettes in several years because I had all sorts of issues with them. I find lump, in general, burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes.

Leave a comment:

• Alphonse
    replied
    Here's a thread that I put up several months back on a test I did on my LSG 20 x 42 using good charcoal.
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...r-my-lsg-20x42

As an outcome of this test I did, I now do what I call hybrid cooks when the mood strikes me. I cook with wood for two or three hours deriving the full benefit of the wood/smoke and then I swap to charcoal (lump or briquettes) deriving the benefit of not having to hover over the pit and manage the fire.
    Last edited by Alphonse; January 18, 2021, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I think you’re spot on Steve. That’s why you have one, for the interaction. It’s why I sold mine, I didn’t want the bother, although I do miss the results sometimes.

• JakeT
    commented on 's reply
    Lol. I’ve come full circle I guess. Weber kettle, COS, Rectec Pellet Smoker, KBQ...EOS...now I’m looking for convenience again. I honestly feel this was a wake up call that convenience is nice and all but...it’s also a sacrifice. 100% wood cooking is the way to go. For me anyway.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    JakeT There’s probably your number one issue.
    Starving the fire. I had the same problem when I first got mine.
    Temps went too high and I over compensated just like you did. And I had the same results.

Remember and always cherish the time you spend with your pit. It’s a work in progress for ever. You can never know enough. 👍👍

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    No worries. Anything I can do help. I’m here. 👊

• JakeT
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the input, I’ll definitely give it a few more attempts. I can’t dismiss a technique based off one experience. That’s just simply irresponsible...scientifically speaking. I think B&B will be next on the charcoal candidates.

• JakeT
    commented on 's reply
    I’ll definitely give it another shot but I not optimistic. The other problem is that I set it for 225 but the temp ran away to 330 at one point. I had the intake air vent fully closed and it was only about 75 degrees today.

• Sweaty Paul
    commented on 's reply
    And he is a great consultant (speaking from prior experience - despite the fact I have yet to jump into the offset world).

• smokin fool
    replied
    Agree with the above, I had a cook that has come up less than likeable and I'm finger pointing at KBB.
    Maybe I'm crazy but there's a funk that comes off KBB IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    This^^^

Always available fer consultation, should ya wish...

• Alphonse
    replied
    Avoid the KBB and use some all natural briquettes or lump. I prefer B&B briquettes.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    My opinion is kingsford always smells bad to me. Try an all natural fuel.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    FireBoard fan, cookers trying to catch up to Pellet Grills.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest