Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20x42 or 24x48

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20x42 or 24x48

I have been drooling over the LSGs for over a year...now I finally have the funds to purchase one. I'm trying to decide on whether to grab the 20x42 or 24x48. I really like the 20x42 but I have the funds to go a little higher and purchase the 24x48. For those that have either I have a few questions.
    • What are your likes and dislikes if any?
    • If you could do it over...would you still choose the same?
    • Is the 1/4 viable in cold weather?
    • Any other suggestions are welcome.

I don’t have either...but almost no one has ever wished for a smaller...cooker.
    Since I don’t own either, I’m not sure what the price difference is...but if it’s close...I’d go big just for the extra real estate for those times it might be needed...

OTOH, just to throw a wrench into it, LOL if the smaller one does everything you need or think it will in the future...no need to spend the extra just to impress the neighbours you’re not inviting over anyway because they only see dollars & not value. So yeah, there’s that.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      We're in a sport like big screen TV's were size matters!
      Its better to have it and not want it than want it and not have it....Stu Taylor in a liquor store in Collingwood just before closing 1981. I asked how many bottles of wine to buy....

I have the 20 x42 and recently ordered the 24 x 48 Adjustable. I know you are asking about offsets here but I thought I would throw that out there.

1. I like the 20 series offset and as an offset, it will work you a bit tending fire. It cooks great and is plenty large enough for my cooks. If you look here in this section you will find several posts by me on the merits of it.
    2. Yes, I would buy it again. It works as LSG advertises and is plenty large enough for my cooks for 8 to 12 people.
    3. I live on the gulf coast so I don't have to cook in freezing weather. I recently cooked in 40 degree weather with a strong wind broadsiding the pit and I could tell it needed a bit more fuel but it did fine.
    4. Consider the capacity you really need. The 24 x 48 is almost 2400 in2 vs 1600 in2 for the 20 x 42. If you are a backyard cook and not a caterer, the 20 series pit may be all you need from a capacity viewpoint.

I had recently begin to think I wanted a Santa Maria grill and I launched into the studies and dug deep. The more I dug into the options, the higher the cost had gotten. The 24 x 48 adjustable then came to my attention. I watched all the youtubes I could find (not that many) and then found owners I could quiz. Naturally I also called LSG and talked to Chris. It became apparent to me that the ACG&S is likely a great multipurpose grill and could likely be adapted to run a bit like a Santa Maria as well. It stands in the shadow of all the LSG offsets but it is the pit Chris has at home. So I now have one on order.

I do not plan on getting rid of my 20 series offset at all. I have several pits/grills and cook multiple times a week. I believe I will continue to use the 20 x 42 but likely not as often when the ACG&S arrives. Its arrival may well displace a couple of other grills I have.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      There you go, dilemma solved. Get both!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a question about the adjustable. I like the looks and functionality of it. I'm concerned about that massive lid with two little springs to assist and just a brief shot during the video of the hinges. Anyone reporting a problem with this? Thanks

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Hawker, not that I found. There's not a lot of photo or video information on that hinge out there. I posted your question here in this thread hoping that AZ Fogey may respond. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ill-and-smoker

I don't own an LSG, but my experience leads me to tell you that you won't regret getting one a few inches bigger but the other way around you could regret. I debated between the next size up with mine and went with the medium one, and at my first larger cook I wished I'd gotten the bigger one. 1/4" is fine for cold weather, insulated firebox so much the better but not required.

Comment

I've had my 20x36 for just over a week now. I live it. I've been able to smoke 3 items at a time. Tonight I did chicken 1/4's, mac n cheese, and brussel sprouts. Last week I did a pork butt, mac n cheese, and baked beans.
      once you get used to using it and being able to control your temps within reason, you while love it. The 20 inch series of very good and maintaining a pretty good temp range.

Comment

How much real estate do you really need, or might need. If it's close, get the bigger, but if the small one will do everything you think you might need, why spend that $$. Use the extra $$ to treat yourself to some premium meat. But, again, if it's close go big remembering that no one complains about a cooker being too big...

Comment

As you can see in my avatar I like, no, love the 24 series. Mine is a 36”. I don’t need bigger but depending on your needs the 48 is definitely great to have.

The 1/4” is fine. I have done a few cooks in sub freezing weather with little trouble. Just a bit more fuel to maintain temps.

Good luck on your decision and if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.
          SteveB

Comment

HawkerXP
            All right! Are you getting interested in that pit? There are 3 stainless hinges on the back of the pit. The springs don't do a whole lot of work and I haven't seen any obvious problems developing. It's only under tension as the lid is at about a 30° angle. Otherwise, it just sort of hangs there relaxed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210117_103625.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	975445

There are two more of these on the back of the cooker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210117_103535.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	975444

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks AZ and Alphonse

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok now I’m confused, happens often, 😬😁.
              Which pit are we talking about? An offset or a vertical?

• Alphonse
              Alphonse commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry Steve, I inadvertently hijacked the thread by bringing up the 24 x 48 Adjustable Charcoal Grill and Smoker and this particular piece of this thread is discussing it vs. the traditional offsets.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here