Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lone Star Grillz 24x48 Adjustable Charcoal Grill and Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AZ Fogey, forgive me but another question!

I know the fan ports are installed on the rear of the pit. At what elevation are they put in? Are they just above the floors of the fireboxes? Since they fireboxes are double wall, how far do the bosses protrude from the rear wall of the pit?

Comment

Yes, just above the floor of the firebox. Nothing protrudes into the pit itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210119_120543.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	976652

I opened the firebox door which will give you an idea as to where the bottom of the box is.

Name:	20210119_120634.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	976653

Comment

This is an amazing offset smoker. Don't have one of those. But I am using smokers from over last 10 years. But do have one of their offset pipe smokers.
        You are gonna love that beauty
        Congrats.
        Last edited by hasijd; January 24, 2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Envy! Congrats! I have wanted to get one for several years. I'm just waiting for the right time. I have 3 babies at home currently and there isn't really any time to grill.

Comment

AZ Fogey, would love to see another one of your cooks on this pit! I have have 2 or 3 months to go before I get mine and of course I am very interested in how this pit runs.

Comment

OK, Alphonse , here you go...

We did ribs last week. It was a different kind of cook for me as I'm usually a peddle-to-the-metal, hot and fast kind of guy. I used Jeremy Yoder's (Mad Scientist BBQ on YouTube) technique for both seasoning and cooking. 50% salt and 50% black pepper by volume, and that was it for seasoning. The BBQ procedure was to cook at low temp for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, then bump the temp up to 275° for 30 minutes to an hour. Then decide to wrap or not and carry on for another hour, then sauce the ribs and let that cure on the ribs for another 20 minutes. I'm aware that there are a lot of you folks that already cook this way, but it was a new technique for me.

The chart shows 3 active lines. The bottom is meat temp, the middle line is the pit temp, measured on the cool side bottom grate, and the top line is the temp of the top grate, measured on the cool side by the exhaust vent.

Name:	Ribs Cook.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	987881
              The Pit Viper fan was installed, but I decided not to use it for a change. That about doubled the time for the pit to come up to temp even with the hot side intake and cool side exhaust wide open. Target temp was the venerable old 225°. I used a full loaf size water pan placed on the upper grate on the hot side.

I started closing down the vents at 175°, but the pit temp delta was still going strong so I opened the lid and put the ribs on when the temp hit just over 200°. That slowed things down nicely and pit went to 225° and stayed there until I opened the lid to spritz the ribs at about 4 pm. The intake vent was set about 1/2" open plus the 1" intake from the van port, and the exhaust vent was open about 1 1/2".

At 4:30, I removed the temp probe from the top grate, and moved the pit temp probe and ribs to the upper grate where the temp was already at the desired 275°, so no vent adjustments were needed. At 5:20 we wrapped the ribs with a little of the spritz liquid and put them back on the upper rack. At 6 o'clock the ribs probed tender so we sauced them an put them back on the upper rack for 20 minutes. The last step isn't shown on the chart because I had pulled all the probes by then.

I'm afraid my days of hot-and-fast rib cooking are over. This slow method is just too good to ignore. It produced the prettiest and juiciest ribs I've ever done. Both my wife and I are sold on this technique.

The only caveat is on the seasoning side. Remember, it's only got salt and pepper, which might be fine for some folks, but if you're used to sweet tasting ribs, the brand of BBQ sauce you use is of utmost importance. This is a great time to use the family's absolute favorite sauce, and probably not a great time to experiment with something new.

Name:	20210205_183031.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	987882

Name:	20210205_183348.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	987883

Name:	20210205_183628.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	987884

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are just freaking beautiful. I know this is an old thread, but jeez

• Clawbear57
                Clawbear57 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm sitting here drooling right. I think I need to take a shower.

Thanks - I was hoping for a low and slow report and bingo, here it is! I really appreciate such a detailed report. Those ribs look really fine!

What position did you have the adjustable fire grate on the left firebox? I remember you telling us you typically fire the left firebox.

What fuel did you use? Did you add any or did you have enough for the ride?

With your feedback here, I continue to believe I will not have buyer's remorse with this pit when I get it! This pit may cause my herd to get thinner!
              Last edited by Alphonse; February 10, 2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Alphonse , the fire grate was either at the bottom or one step up. I haven't done any experimenting with moving the firebox to different positions on an offset cook, and I can't even think of how to actually start to experiment with that. Maybe if I get bored..., because it has to make a difference to the temps in some part of the pit. We used the Fogo Super Premium big lump. With very little new additions of Fogo Premium, I'm still cooking on the leftovers this week. I know you already know how to cook, so I can guarantee that what you will NOT have is buyer's remorse for spending the money on this pit. Get the knives out, because your herd isn't long for this world.

Comment

• Alphonse
                  Alphonse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks again! Yes, I am likely going to downsize by one or maybe two. That may simply mean moving one to my daughter's and another to our camp. From your cooks that I see here and others, this pit is truly multipurpose and does a great job. I have seen very few multipurpose machines that were particularly good at any one task but this one may change my mind.

The side shelf is quite handy because it allows you to put all the food there. In addition, while you roast meat, you can make a side dish on this shelf.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hope you're not going to be a spammer by coming back and editing this post to insert some lame link, which will get you banned. I hope you're a real Trial member. Let's see, drumroll...........

Congrats. I think yur gonna have a lot of fun.

Comment

I love it when posts like this include a picture so that I don't have to use my imagination.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here