Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lone Star Grilz, I want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the 20x42 and I mostly agree with radshop 's accessories list above. I didn't buy the grill pan as I have other cookers for grilling. I just leave the ash pan in place so it essentially just adds some extra steel to my firebox. I used the gas log assist initially because I was new to offset smoking but it became unnecessary after I got some cooks under my belt. I bought the charcoal basket but I haven't used it once.

Also, I highly recommend getting their fire basket. It will make building fires much easier.

Overall build quality is outstanding & they stand behind their work.
    Last edited by kenrobin; August 4, 2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I'm about to pull the trigger. I want this so bad.
      i figure I'd pay the shipping with my credit card and finance the grill and accessories with there financing.

It will make it much easier to pay for. So, I think I'm calling them tomorrow.

Note. I haven't seen any negative reviews. The offset 20x36 must be an outstanding grill.

The reason I'm not going for the 42 is because the temps are more close across the grill on the smaller unit. Beside I think it will be big enough for all of my grilling. I don't think I'll need to use the top grill grate since at most I'll be doing no more than 2 briskets and 225° seems to do a better job.
      I've done one at 275 and it was a little dry on the out side. The inside was good.

Thank you all for all your input.

Comment

One more thing.

Where would be a good supply of Oak splits near Georgetown KY?

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I would check craigslist. There is no shortage of oak trees in this state, and there must be several firewood sellers around.

Joetee. You do not want this. You need it.

Comment

Yes!!!! I love it! Are you going to get a designed grill sign like kenrobin has on his? That’s the finishing touch!

congrats....well, tomorrow congrats but this is a big deal! Haha.

Comment

If your looking for emotional support and affirmation on your smoker choice, it would appear you've come to the right place.

And in reality it's not that much money. You've only just begun a journey to soon be followed by thermometers, fans, accessories, add ons, etc.etc. etc.

Have fun!
            Last edited by bep35; August 4, 2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Has anyone used lump charcoal and added wood chunks for the smoke?

Does it burn well and long in a side burner?

I'm having a real hard time finding oak splits.

Comment

Ok it's on order. Now the waiting game. I can't wait.

Comment

Lone Star or Shirley? That is the question I ask myself. Lone Star wouldn't have the long wait that is for sure! I hope to have some money coming in the future that will let me pay for a new smoker in few. I should, hopefully, be able to pay cash for what I need or want when that time comes.

Comment

Joetee , I ordered my LG 20x42 on 5/27. Got word yesterday it was finally done. Shipping quote calculated at the time of ordering $495, with it being shipped to my place of work with no lift gate needed, as we have forklifts here. I can then load it into my truck to get it home. With my son in high school Football, he has lined up several of his teammates to assist in unloading. Point being, if you have or know someone to where you could have it shipped to a place of business and has a forklift, you can save quite a bit in shipping. That freight quote was shipping from LSG to Portland, OR. Being that you just ordered yours, you have plenty of time to hopefully come up with a way to save some $$$. Cheers

Comment

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congrats DuckinBBQ You’re in for a treat for a lifetime. 🙌🙌

• Steve B
                      Steve B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Joetee Believe me I felt your pain. No joke. It’s an eternity. 😳😁 But time does rush by. 👍

• DuckinBBQ
                      DuckinBBQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steve B I have had several cookers over the years, Horizon 20" RD Marshall, KBQ....and others I can't recall. The Horizon was the biggest mistake I have made. It held smoke about as good as a screen door, with very little to no temperature control at all. Large gaps around the firebox door, etc. Quality control and craftsmanship nonexistent.
                      Last edited by DuckinBBQ; October 9, 2020, 09:38 AM.

On my wish list! Get'er done!

Comment

Congrats on yer decision, an Courage to ya, as yer waitin...

I wants me an LSG, at some point, but reckon it's smarter to wait bout 2.5~ish yrs, to when I retire, an move back downhome to TX...

Saves me th $pendy $hippin, which can then be applied to procurin me some proteins, an cooker fuel, plus I ain't gotsta find a way to haul th big ol bastige 800 miles...

God willin, an th crick don't rise, I'll be cookin on one, soon, like!

Comment

• MTurney
                        MTurney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Never too early to move back to Texas 🤠

Well I've learned that waiting this long for the LSG has its advantages. It gives me time to find and get some wood splits before arrival.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Generally, hereabouts, I jus type "Hickory" into th search box on Craigslist... still usin a firewood guy I've bought from fer over ten years...it works out fer both of us, an that's jus how my world rolls along...

If ya got any freezer space available, start shoppin bargain sales on proteins...yer gonna be wantin some, an ya do have th Luxury of Time, Brother!

It might help th days to go by...
                        Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 8, 2020, 07:40 PM.

I have been wanting one of their cookers for some time. Well I think with the 3rd kid on the way maybe I can justify one! Good luck and let's us know if you order it!

Comment

• Joetee
                        Joetee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I ordered it Aug 6th. Getting more excited by the day.

Yea baby... I just received the email stating the work has begun on my LSG!!!
                      ​​​​​​ I've waited so long. I've learned that Lone Star builds about 100 pits a month. Now I understand why it takes so long getting one. They are made to order. A lot of people love them.
                      Last edited by Joetee; December 4, 2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
                        Steve B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Congrats. And welcome to the LSG family. 💪

• ofelles
                        ofelles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Finally. Now is the worst part of the wait!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here