Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSG 20" X 42" vs LSG 24" X 36" comparison question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSG 20" X 42" vs LSG 24" X 36" comparison question

Hi everyone,

Brand new to the website. LOVE IT! I'm looking to upgrade from my Oklahoma Joe, and LSG is at the top of my list right now.

Is there an advantage to the 24" model's over the 20"? Also, I live in Michigan, so would a 1/2 " firebox make a significant difference in the winter? If so.. Then the 24" model would make more sense. Or could I get by with the 1/4" firebox when there's 2 feet of snow outside?

Thanks!

Can't help much on your question. Plus I'm in California and don't know what 2' of snow is. I can comment on LSG build quality. I have one of there insulated cabinet cookers and everything about is as advertised. Plus they are great to deal with. Chris answered all my question and a few I didn't know to ask.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, I live in California too and definitely know what 2 feet of snow looks like. Usually it's just the first part of 6 feet of snow!

I'm meh on the 1/2" thickness. It offers 1/4" of more of the same, metal that has a wicked thermal diffusivity. Plus you could use that money elsewhere. The new design of the 20" makes them really hard to choose between that and the 24".

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I don't do cold temps anymore and can't help.

Comment

Hey Adam. Welcome aboard.
        As you can see from my avatar I have an LSG.

You can PM me with all your questions. I’ll be happy to help you out.

Comment

That is mighty nice of you Steve B . adammiller824 What kind of temps are you going to be smoking in. From what I know of them the LSG are very efficient smokers. The big thing I would worry about is the smoking chamber. I don't know if LSG has an insulating cover for it, but it would be my first purchase if I were smoking in sub-freezing temps.

Comment

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            I read that you could get a welders blanket and lay it on top did insulation.

Welcome from Houston! I don’t have an LSG, but it is top of my list when the time comes for me to upgrade. Good luck choosing, we look forward to hearing your pick.

Comment

I don't have an LSG, but I feel competent in answering your firebox thickness questions. 1/4" will do just fine. Not sure how much extra you would have to pay for 1/2", but most likely not worth it. Remember, that 1/2" needs to be heated up when firing that thing up too, it's gonna take extra time.

I cook in the winter all the time, and we have cold weather here in Sweden. If (and that's a very big if), you ever feel you need extra insulation (but I seriously doubt it), just add some fireproof bricks on the left and right walls of your firebox. Simply stand them up to the side so they become an extra wall, about 4 per side (depends on size of course). It's a 30 second mod, but will add thermal mass for you.

When I fire my smoker up I notice it takes an extra 5-10 minutes to get it up to temp when it's cold and snowy, but as long as you use good dry wood it's not an issue at all.

As for the LSG: great choice. They put out top quality products.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 Like Henrik I smoke all year, takes a bit longer but you'll figure it out.
              Many use welders blankets to help with the cold, I just use a wind break of some kind.

Great thing about LSG is that they have an abundant number of youtube's showing you the difference between their models. You cannot go wrong with either one. Both are extremely well built and perform well. Unfortunately you are likely not going to find someone who's had both and can give you the direct comparison but that's where Chris at LSG and his youtubes come in. Give him a call and he will give you the direct skinny. I talked to him twice before making my decision and found him straightforward and open.

Since you are upgrading from an exiting offset you know what you are getting into. I have seen lots of used offsets for sale where people find out they don't enjoy the "fire tending' they need. They sit idle for a long time and end up finding a new home.

Having lived in a cold climate, I personally would not use an offset in severe cold. The offset just requires too much time at the pit tending fire. I'd be using a kamado in that circumstance. But I am cold weather adverse!

Whichever you choose, do yourself a big favor and buy the LSG "fire management basket". It is well thought out and built to last like all their products and accessories. You see one in my avatar.

Last note, take Steve B up on his offer to help if you need it. He helped me when I was working thru the tangle.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. What he said. 😁

• Ricardo
              Ricardo commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on Steve B helping with hands-on experience and input from an owners perspective and helping with initial questions and...
              +1 on Chris. Ask and gather critical intel so you will go into this with reassurance and confidence of having done your research. LSGs are excellent smokers.

Am late to the party, but tomorrow afternoon, approximatley 1400 hours (2:00pm CST for you civilians) . I will be driving from Houston to Willis to pick out which LSG I will get . Chris (owner) and I are going to come to True Truth. It's either the 24x 36, or if I go completely nuts, the 24x48. As to the issue of 1/2" vs 1/4" --- I'm told by people way more experienced than I that it does not move the needle much regarding insulation. But the right guy to talk to is Chris . A straight shooter, he's sold to plenty of people up north, and I bet he'd know.

Regarding the 20 vs. 24, I am told the 24 is better because you can line up briskets vertically with the extra depth, may be compromised a bit with the 20.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Being in NY I have no issues with having the 1/4" fire box. You being in Texas will not need a 1/2" box.
              Good luck with whatever you choose. They are awesome cookers.

Also while you are there ask Chris about a Santa Maria for the fire box. I talked with him a couple of weeks ago about this and am waiting for his reply as to weather or not it is worth while for him to make one.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here