Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on the LSG round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on the LSG round 2

Since the trial run a couple weeks ago was a hit, we went forward with the pizza party this past Saturday night. About a dozen people, 10 pizzas from scratch, along with beer and sides - it was a major success. And it was nice to have the radiant heat from the LSG along with a fire pit going on a brisk California night. It got so cold I had to put shoes on!

Wish the photos turned out better, but at least you can see some live fire. The setup is:
    • Almond wood splits on the fire grate
    • The LSG firebox grate in the middle
    • Camp Chef cast iron griddle on top of that
    • PK extension grate holding up the pizza stone
    • The built-in LSG griddle at the top radiating heat back down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	791400

Name:	IMG_0814.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	791399

Sooo freakin awesome brother Rad.
    Love it.

I almost asked. But than I have to ask.
    That roughly 4” piece of metal on the left side. Is that the door catch? What makes me ask is it looks like it wraps around into the fire box?? Mine doesn’t have whatever that is.
    Mostly visible in the first pic.

Comment

Shoe's in SoCal....in winter!!!! Stop the world I want off.
      Nice looking setup, Beer and Za….I'm liking that.

Comment

Pizza. Is always top of my list!

Comment

Steve B is this what you are asking about? Here are pictures of both parts the door latch mechanism. Click image for larger version

Name:	0422970E-F5BC-494D-9832-45C46A750588.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	791420

Name:	E728E53C-4D14-4441-927E-CBBB04274F7B.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	791421

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. That’s why I was Hesitant to ask.
            Mine looks nothing like that.

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            Never hesitate to ask.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            On a side note. It looks like I have a couple of the same folding tables.
            Don’t they come in handy. 👍

That sounds great. What was the cook time per pizza?

Comment

Here’s a pic of mine. Tried to put in my other response but it wouldn’t let me Click image for larger version

Name:	18F8F36F-6B06-4A2A-9FB8-AB7FA2F8922A.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	791438

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
              That sounds great. What was the cook time per pizza?
              Great question. On the test run a few weeks ago, the fire was good & hot and pizzas were cooking in 3-5 minutes. This time things were just not at that pace for the first few pies. Then I realized the difference. The cook chamber lid was closed, limiting the airflow. Once I opened that up, we were off and running again.

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                radshop, When you say the cook chamber lid was closed, do you mean the top lid over the griddle or the cook chamber door? If you opened the top lid for flow, I assume you removed the griddle plate?

Sorry for my confusion, but this is an important detail so I can copy your method!

That is a great set up for Pizza!

Comment

Oh that all just looks delicious. Wood fired pizza is becoming a small passion of mine. Yours look terrific.

Comment

Alphonse Let me break it down for you, brother. I'm talking about opening the door on the cook chamber (see photo for illustration).

You definitely want that firebox top lid closed and the griddle in place, because that's a thermal mass cooking your pizza from the top with infrared radiation. Before I put the cooking grate with the griddle and pizza stone in, I get the fire going for at least 30 minutes and let the entire firebox get up to temp - especially that thick steel griddle. In other words, you aren't using the fire to cook the pizza - you are using the fire to heat all of the surfaces around the pizza, then they radiate the heat that cooks the pizza.

Opening the cook chamber gull-wing door increases the air draw, so the fire burns hotter and keeps the whole firebox up to pizza cooking temp. This is hot &fast to the max, not the low & slow the the LSG was designed for.

As far as the side door on the firebox, obviously I'm opening it a lot to stoke the fire and get the pizzas in and out. I keep the damper wide open, and never really fully close the door. I just use my judgment on when to close it more to hold the heat in or when to open it more and get airflow. I'm still learning.

Hope that helps.

Name:	300SL_Gullwing_2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	792959

Comment

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    radshop That's one nice looking grill! Some what WAY north of $1M right. Out of my price range.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here