Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They convinced me to buy a smoker: LSG 20x36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They convinced me to buy a smoker: LSG 20x36

I've cooked 5 or 6 briskets this summer on the Weber kettle - trying to get my technique better. A couple times I took brisket to lunch meetings when we had clients from out of town. It was a major hit, so much that one of my clients actually asked if we could host (and I could cook BBQ for) their fall operations meeting. It's a win for them because it saves them money, and it's also a big win for us because normally no vendors would be part of this meeting.

My business partners pointed that if a bigger/better smoker would help make this a success, it's a no-brainer. And considering the value of this client, they are right. Could I do brisket, chicken, pork and sides for ~20 people with the kettle and the PK classic plus my assorted propane cookers? Yes, but I think a real smoker will probably work better and also look more impressive. And it's a new smoker. So I did a bunch of research and decided on the Lone Star Grillz 20x36.

Based on the 2-4 week lead times, I'll have 4-6 weeks to practice before the big meeting. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. It's great to have all the resources here - all you experts get ready for a round of newbie questions in the near future.

Make sure you have your protections lined up with your company, or your client's. Just in case. You're getting pretty close to catering, regulations and liabilities.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good call, thanks. Their CEO has become a good friend over the years and should have no problem signing a liability release - he really wants to do this. I would only cook the hot foods and let cold sides be store-bought. But thanks for the heads-up. If it looks sketchy, I won't do it (but I'll keep the smoker).

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Good stuff!

Do that, and GRILL ON my man, I love grilling for people, usually I gotta do ribs a couple times I’ve summer for ppl

Comment

Yup, they made you do it. The evidence is apparently clear. Isn’t it exciting with MCS & things just fall in yer lap easy like. We are all happy for you. 🕶

Comment

That’s awesome. You’re gonna love that LSG.
        Are you getting the newly designed one or the barrel type?
        If you have any questions please feel free to ask either here or pm. As I have their 24X36 offset.

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          It's the new design. Thanks for all the info you share here.

Congratulations!

Comment

I'd get the 20x42. There is only $100 difference. Bigger=better. I watched the video. Solid piece of gear. Fairly even temps throughout. I was concerned with the stack pulling from the bottom that it would not be even. Obviously well thought out beta tested.

Comment

• radshop
            radshop commented
            Editing a comment
            If I had a bigger patio, I would have got a bigger smoker!!

Right choice on the grill

Comment

Congrats. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

Comment

More Smoker, More Parties, More Friends!

Comment

Excellent choice of grill, you're gonna be a happy camper with that LSG!

Comment

Congratulations! I recently saw some YouTube videos with LSG smokers and they seem to be allstars. Did you get any add-ons? Looking forward to seeing your cook.

Comment

• radshop
                    radshop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I got the gas assist to push through the dirty smoke and into clean smoke faster so I can minimize annoying my neighbors. Also got the internal grill pan. I don't know to what extent this might become my go-to for grilling, but it looks like a good option.

Following on the point EdF made about catering regulations/liability, that problem has worked itself out. It will be more like 15 people instead of 20-25, which means I can have them at my house (near the office) for a meal. It's not mandatory attendance, and it's just me cooking for friends, not "catering". I'll work at home that day so I can monitor the cook, then they will come over late afternoon when they are ready to wrap up.

But it's a good point for me to be aware of. Now that our clients have tasted my BBQ and like it, I have a feeling they will continue wanting me to bring it on a smaller scale to working lunch meetings like I did this summer. When that happens, I'll provide an alternate order-in menu for anyone that doesn't want my food and make it clear that this is just me sharing with friends, nothing more.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A few years back, my wife and I hosted about 30 of my colleagues who were on an annual bike trip for lunch. Pulled pork and smoked chicken, and sides. But it was a similar setup in our back yard. Leftovers went to the NYC office, and there was a group of about 20 finishing them off a few months later. Worked great.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here