Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook On My New LSG Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook On My New LSG Offset

Here's the video I made of my first cook on my Lone Star Grillz offset smoker including the growing pains. Each cook will be an evolution as I've been making my own observations and I'm receiving great advice on how to better start my fire.

I hope the sound is better than the last one. I'm saving up to get better equipment for future videos.

Sweet!

Comment

I’m enjoying following you as you learn not only a new smoker, but a new smoking method as well. With your logical approach to problem solving you will be knocking it out of the park soon. Keep them coming sir.

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Donw. I feel like I'm getting closer to cracking that nut LOL

Great video, brother! I don't have an LSG, but in my offsets, I usually use one unlit (full sized) Weber chimley, then dump one fully lit on top, them throw in 2-4 hickory splits...mine are not split down small; they're 'firewood-sized'.

I have th doors wide open, til I get me a fire rollin well, then I close th cook box, start bringin temps up.
      When they git up in cookin range, only then do I need to close/regulate my firebox door...

Hope yer pork loin was delicious!

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mr. Bones. Your advice is similar to many others that I received & that I will be trying soon.

First off Ken I will say the birds chirping in the background drove my dogs crazy for a couple of minutes. 😊
      Seriously though. You’re making some good progress on your way to mastering your LSG.
      It will take months for sure.
      As you said in your video. Start with a full chimney of KBB. You don’t need to waste money using lump.
      You also want a little bigger fire. That will get your temps up quicker and hold there better.
      If you want to use the firebox door for air flow control like I do, when you get the fire rolling nicely play with the door. See how the temps change with the door cracked just a little bit and than 2-3” open than 4-5” open.
      Also I don’t see you using a digital thermometer. The Teltru is ok but mine are 25* off on the low side from what the grate temps are actually at.
      Ken you know how to get a hold of me.
      Keep up the good work brother.

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again Steve B. I actually recorded that video prior to the 4th of July when you shared some tips with me. I used my Fireboard on the 4th to get a better ambient temp reading at the the grate level. I really appreciate your assistance.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        kenrobin That Steve B character has got it goin on, comes to burnin them sticks, an such!
        Great source of information, in my considered experience.
        Helluva nice guy, as well! Always nice to meet some of those, in ones life.

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree!

Here is how I start a wood fire in my firebox that heats my house. First, lay some cardboard in the bottom of the firebox. Then put two large pieces in with the ends facing the door and towards the side. Crumple newspaper and lay between the two large pieces. Then make a grate by putting finely split kindling so that the ends of it are on top of the larger pieces and covering the newspaper. Put two or three larger pieces on the grate you just made with the ends facing the door, then some kindling on top of them. You can even put some newspaper or cardboard strips between the larger pieces. Light the newspaper. Add paper until the kindling gets going. The kindling will eventually collapse and the larger pieces will be burning nicely. Add more wood you'll have a nice fire going in the same time you would be dumping your chimney of charcoal into the firebox. Another tip, keep the door just cracked until the fire is going.

Comment

ComfortablyNumb Thanks!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries, Ken. BTW, check Sacramento Craigslist for wood, oak and almond are plentiful. You don't NEED this, but it makes chopping kindling easy and safe: https://smile.amazon.com/Kindling-Cr...70_&dpSrc=srch
          Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; July 8, 2018, 12:30 PM.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          It's nearly adult beverage proof! Highly recommended!

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I placed my order for the larger Kindling Cracker this weekend. I also found a tree service company in my town that sells seasoned oak for $300 per cord which is a much better price than others that I've come across in the Bay Area. I will probably buy 1/3 of a cord from them.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here