Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today Is A Very Good Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, 👍👍👍 🕶

Comment

Oh boy! Congrats. I can't wait to see a picture of your smoker. I never really saw the built in.

Comment

Fantastic, you're almost halfway there now!!!

Comment

You're going to like it! I used mine to smoke salmon yesterday.

Comment

Contgrats on the build info. I am still waiting on mine.....

Comment

Very nice, won't be long now. Maybe one day for me.

Comment

And now the construction is complete! It will ship some time next week! This is so exciting.

And tomorrow I should receive the shipment of the stainless steel cabinets that are going in the new outdoor kitchen. Sadly, though, we are still finalizing the architect drawings and the builder tells me to plan on construction starting in the spring. Oh well, I will have a way to use the grill (and my griddle) in the meantime, so patience is key.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ironically, I couldn't make it to the last meatup because I didn't have this truck, however, this truck was actually in Texas at the time of the meatup. My goal is to saddle up next spring and head out the next meatup(s).

• DavidNorcross
                  DavidNorcross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Happy for you Jim. Looking forward to pics. Spring is not that far away, will be here before you know it!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good news for both of ya. Congrats!

Sweeeet!

It is a reason to celebrate!

Comment

Sweet!! It's getting closer!
                  Just in an email conversation with Jim regarding some mods on a Santa Maria grill. Hopefully in a month or two I can move forward.

Comment

• Jim White
                    Jim White commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice! That sounds like a lot of fun.

Still trying to get my heart rate back down to normal. The delivery of the cabinets for the outdoor kitchen came just before 6 this evening. The delivery totaled 13 boxes and was shipped on two pallets. The pallets were stacked two cabinets high. The truck that was sent was a rickety old thing. I looked up the company--they have a grand total of one truck. I'm not going to name the company because I don't blame them, they're just trying to make a living. The lift gate wasn't really big enough for the pallets. The back wheels of the pallet jack had to hang off the lift gate in order to turn the pallet and jack enough to clear the inside of the truck. Several times, we had near catastrophe as a pallet was teetering on the edge and one guy was down on the ground pushing it back onto the gate. I stayed well clear, both out of fear of injury and not wanting to be in a position of blame if I had a hand on it as it fell.

In the end, though, everything made it into my garage with no signs of damage to the packaging. Tomorrow my guy and his helper will finish breaking down the stacks and move everything into our well house for the long wait for the space to put the cabinets into. One of the pallets got unstacked to make it through the door into the garage--that's how high the teetering stack was!

There was also a language barrier with the delivery guys. I thanked them and sent them on the way with a few persimmons from the tree they parked beside. One of them asked if they were apples--may have been the only English fruit word they could come up with. I was too traumatized to think well enough to add a cash tip, too.

Comment

Can't wait for pics!

Comment

Today's good news: it's here! Yay!

The bad news: my guy is leaving on a road trip and it will be a week or two before we can uncrate it, get it onto the stainless table I bought it and do the burn in. That's some serious torture.

Not much to see here, but here are pics to prove it happened.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-08 12.02.55.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	1322992

Name:	2022-11-08 12.03.05.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1322991

As others have noted, Lone Star definitely doesn't mess around when it comes to crating.

Comment

A week or two??? WTH????

Send me a plane ticket and we'll get that $*** DONE!

Comment

• Jim White
                          Jim White commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I will have the patience of Job by the time all is said and done. We will get this thing up and running, but the cabinets are all stored right now in my well house. We will have a contract in January, construction April-July or August before outdoor kitchen is done. Oh, and finally ordering the new hot tub today, but it won't be installed until the end of construction.

I'm at the other end of the wait. Mine is just ordered. Although I think you might have it worse.....having to look at the crate day in and day out!

Comment

Well, that couple of weeks before we could uncrate this beauty turned into a couple of months. During that time, I realized that a stainless steel table would also work as the permanent home for the cooker in the cooking area that will be all stainless with some black on the cookers and black granite countertops. I also opted for casters on the table.

I decided to go for a cooking height of about 39 inches. That is more comfortable for me than normal counter height but not too high for my wife to reach. (She says once she retires, she plans to rejoin cooking with me. Yay!)

Here’s the big reveal of it sitting on the table. We haven’t removed the protective plastic film from the bottom shelf yet. Will do that once the kitchen is complete and the cooker gets parked in its space.

Name:	D960D6F4-F466-443B-9AAB-4E8521C2ACDA.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1375470

Name:	5196D2A9-B7EA-4349-85A8-0A82F285011C.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1375466

That’s a new BBQ Guru UltraQ. My friend John bought it for my old Kamado and then we decided to save him some money by swapping controllers and me kicking in about half the cost of the new one. This controller has its own app and is almost too easy to set up.

We stuck a couple of brass adapters together and with just a bit of filing threads off the outer one, the new fan slides in like a champion.

Name:	6859EF17-29B2-4641-AA36-6DB800DBE084.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1375467

I sprayed the inside with cooking spray as directed and put lump in the charcoal tray on the side with the fan. I set the bottom of the lump just above where the fan blows in. I used a single Tumbleweed to start and was very conservative about closing the lid before a big fire got going. The advice is not to go above 350 on the burn in or the high heat paint could blister before it cures properly. I had the controller on from the start with it set to a pit temp of 300.

It probably only took a half hour to get to temp. I’m sure I can get it there faster in the future. Here’s the first part of the temp coming up. During the heat up I did learn that the exhaust vent setting (I was running in “offset” mode with only the exhaust vent away from the fire open) has a huge impact on temperature.

Name:	45876EB0-DBEA-4B83-ADE5-52FAC90EB937.png
Views:	147
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1375468
                          There was an interruption in the recording when I realized I would have to use an extension cord for the power supply in order to close the garage door.

The advice for the burn in says under 350 for three to six hours. I may let it go longer than that just to see how long that much lump will last.

I got reconnected to recording just a bit after 390 was reached. We are about an hour and a half into the hold at 300. It’s clear that this beauty will hold steady temps incredibly well.

Name:	2EAD0043-D9F6-47D3-8266-2A738A6E227B.png
Views:	145
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1375469

I am a very happy camper.

Comment

• ofelles
                            ofelles commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Don't you just love new toys!

• mrichie1229
                            mrichie1229 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Looks beautiful. Jim White Congrats!

• Steve B
                            Steve B commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is a beautiful thing. 🙌🙌🙌

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here