Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple mods…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple mods…

Click image for larger version

Name:	11999527-7425-4FB6-B207-92E940B165EB.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1193575 Click image for larger version

Name:	E5D6C53B-6B47-4793-B867-F0272CE8F1B6.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1193577 Click image for larger version

Name:	47CDD086-5E6A-4F82-B477-6DC3DA936DB6.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1193576 Click image for larger version

Name:	2BEDAEFA-223B-4971-9738-DBE347F1817C.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1193578 Hey all, I’ve been crazy busy and haven’t had the time to be here much. Really sorry to hear about Bones…RIP…I definitely always enjoyed his engagement and always felt he was a staple personality of the pit.

with spring coming in I’ve had the itch to que pretty strongly and have made a few modifications to my LSG over the last few weeks. I added a portion of a 24” steel pipe to the bottom of the firebox as well as some angle iron to hold the coals in from falling out. I have some "superwool" coming in tomorrow that I’m going to put on the bottom of the pipe to insulate the bottom portion of the firebox. So far, these modifications have helped a ton. I’ve been cruising at 250 with ease. Probably user error but the stock setup never really felt right for me and I always had a tough time keeping big temp swings in check. My coal bed would burn out then I’d overload to compensate and go up to 325+. I LOVE the way it’s running now. Let me know what you guys think and give me any feedback on how to improve my new setup!

Can you get air under the coat bed still, and where does ash collect/fall?

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s just the pipe so I guess technically no, air cannot get under the coal bed, the ash collects at the bottom of the pipe. Having too much air under the coal bed was causing me issues with the stock setup. The coal bed would burn down to quickly to maintain the burn on the fresher splits. To have a coal bed big enough to not burn down I would be running too hot, so I would put smaller splits to adjust then I wouldn’t have a big enough coal bed again. A vicious cycle.

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing is welded or cut from the original design but at least for now the modifications seem to be helping me.

That is good thinking.

Comment

Interesting modification. It seems counterintuitive, especially for long cooks where a build up of ash could reduce airflow even more, but if it is working, kudos to you & your ingenuity! I have seen where folks with very efficient stick burners struggle with fire management and maintaining temps. The most common solution I have seen is to use smaller size splits & add them more often. Assuming the last picture is your stock set up, you could try it if you ever decide to revert. Otherwise enjoy smoking with your modification in place!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here