Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe joining the family soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe joining the family soon...

My MSC has been out of control lately and I've been researching stick burners non-stop. While I still love my trifecta (Weber Performer, Grilla OG, and PBC), I really want to have the option to really dive in and spend time with it on the weekends. I've narrowed it down to the Lonestar Grillz 20x36 and have tentative approval from my wife (which is a surprise blessing).

Since you all are already in the mix, and I see there are so many accessories...what do you all think is integral to include? And I notice the design changes from the 2 smaller ones to a barrel with the larger. Other than cooking space, or there any major differences I should consider?

Finally, any thoughts on which wheel combo works best for these models? I intend to mainly roll these around on pavement, but saw the AT wheels and was trying to figure out if worth it.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm bouncing out the door right now and will give you my thoughts a little later, but here is a great review by our very own kenrobin He was very influential with my purchase decisions:

Last edited by CaptainMike; May 5, 2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha, and you too Steve B Seriously, you gave me some fantastic advice and I thank you.

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the shoutout CaptainMike ! I'm glad that you found my video to be helpful. Steve B was also instrumental in my purchase decision. You're going to have a lot of fun cooking with your LSG!
      Last edited by kenrobin; May 5, 2021, 11:20 PM.

You’re gonna love your new LSG.
    And a pre welcome to the family.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I'm hoping to pull the trigger in the next month (gotta get that approval to formal approval before I can pull the trigger).

You poor BBQ'r, I pray MCS is not contagious. But I know it is.
    Perhaps it is a good thing, or not, I only have room for one cooker.
    This may be the root cause of my MCS anxiety disorder.

Comment

I've had my 20x36 since early January. I wouldn't change anything. Maybe a 42 inch. But I have the standard wheels. No problems. You really want the charcoal basket. Handle. Hand tools. The smoke chamber grill rack is great for large grilling like many burgers or a lot of chicken for group gatherings. The off road I heard doesn't have a good turn radius but is great for going across your lawn. Fire starter isn't necessary. I use a weed burner.

Comment

Excellent choice! I love my 24x48! Alphonse is a great source as well. Spinaker will join us all one day as well, I'm sure.

I didn't get the AT wheels, but I did get the mid grade upgrade for the 8" wheels. The absolute must have accessories in my opinion are the gas assist and the fire management basket.

Comment

Congrats on getting approval to move forward with a LSG.

I wouldn't think all terrain wheels are worth the cost. Use that money to get the 42.

I have a 20 x 42 LSG and I would recommend the following:
          1. Fire Management Basket
          2. Blower port
          3. 1/2" fire grate
          4. Thermocouple ports, get two. (one for lower and one for upper grates)
          5. 8" wheel upgrade
          6. Pull handle
          7. Ball valve on drain

I bought the burner assist port and never use it. As you know, the cost is minimal though. I also bought the charcoal pan that inserts into the cook chamber and have used it once. I would not do that again.

Comment

• Alphonse
            Alphonse commented
            Editing a comment
            Kenyata, I use my blower port fairly regularly with lump and/or briquettes. I do not use it for splits. I often cook with splits and then swap to B&B briquettes so I don't have to tend fire all day. This hybrid approach, as I call it, works like a charm. I did a post here on AR on that topic about a year ago. BTW, I can do the same thing now on my LSG AGS.

• Alphonse
            Alphonse commented
            Editing a comment
            Here's the post on using a blower on the LSG 20 series pit.
            I bought the fire management basket with my LSG 20x42. It works really well to concentrate the coal bed and make poking sticks more of a pleasure. It is a “must have” accessory in my opinion. Of course, this LSG is an offset with its primary mission of being a stick burner. That is what I wanted and that’s the reason

• kenrobin
            kenrobin commented
            Editing a comment
            Alphonse Great point about using the blower port with charcoal. Even though I bought LSG's charcoal basket, I still haven't used it yet. I've only been cooking with splits. If/when I do a long cook with charcoal, I would use a fan to help keep it going.

Very good decision, you are going to really like it. Just be prepared for the wait once you have ordered, as they have long wait lists in manufacturing. However, it will be worth it when it finally arrives.

Comment

I got the 20X42 with the 7 options recommended by Alphonse and really feel like that configuration is perfect. The 8 inch wheel upgrade wouldn't really be needed, but it certainly made moving it to my back patio an easier task.

Waiting for it to arrive was the biggest challenge, but now that it has arrived I can say it was worth the wait.

Comment

A lot of great advice up there, and much of it involves personal preference. Here's what I consider the best value/should have:

Fire Management Basket
              Gas Assist (I have LP plumbed on my porch)
              Pull Handle
              8" Wheels
              Upper and Lower Probe Ports
              Folding Front Tray
              Dual Tel-Tru Thermometers (I rely on them as much or more than my Fireboard)

I grabbed several other items of convenience, but those are generally unnecessary to the functionality of the cooker/experience. Regardless, even if you selected no options this is a fantastic cooker as is!

Now, I'm sure you're aware of the shipping charges. For some it's a deal killer. It was $600 shipped out to California and was a bit of a pill to swallow. I just chalked it up to the cost of doing business (which it is) and accepted it as simply a one time cost that I'll never think about again. And even though 600 bucks is 600 bucks, it's pretty insignificant in the long run.

And one more very important point is wood source. If you haven't done so already, you should establish where you're going to get good, dry wood. These cookers can gobble up the firewood, especially on long cooks. Not a problem where I live, but folks who live in urban areas have a little more difficulty sourcing firewood, and it ain't cheap.

I hope this helps, have fun with the process, and please keep us posted on your progress.
              Last edited by CaptainMike; May 6, 2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
                Baltimorelger commented
                Editing a comment
                Super helpful! Also thanks for the wood reminder, I've done some research and found a few good local options, so I think I'll be set.

I have the 20 X 36 offset smoker on order with the 7 options recommended. Initially, I was looking at the 24 X 36 barrel type but Chris at LSG told me the 24 X 36 will use much more fuel (50%-80%) depending on many variables, this made my decision pretty easy to go with the 20 X 36 and it is $1155 less money. With how we cook I couldn't justify the larger one. Good luck!

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Redwng, I often see people buying pits that are likely way too big for their needs. In my opinion bigger is actually not always better. The 20 series LSG are great for the family cook. I usually cook for four to a dozen people and my 20 x 42 is more than adequate.

• Baltimorelger
                Baltimorelger commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! That is helpful! I have settled on the 20X36 (also because anything bigger isn't going to fit in my space!).

Just ordered! 20x42 is joining the family! (....in 18-20 weeks)

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                As I said on your other post. Whoohoo.
                And just in time for winter.
                No worries though. It’s a beast and you will have no problem in the colder weather.

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Congrats, too bad that the wait is a PITA! I have done it twice with LSG but the pits really worth it.

• Baltimorelger
                Baltimorelger commented
                Editing a comment
                If it takes the full 18 weeks, it will come my birthday weekend, so trying to pretend that makes the potential wait worthwhile.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here