Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Heat Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Heat Paint

The inside of the door on my offset firebox is starting to flake which I was going to treat with a high heat paint. There are so many on the market....anyone have one in particular they’re happy with? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

The problem with almost all high heat paints easily available to the public is that they are not food safe. Even in a firebox the smoke generated will carry by-products from the paint into the food chamber.

Comment

I wouldn't bother myself. Other than using the stuff that was used on the nose of the Space Shuttle (not joking) it will just be an endless cycle since the expansion and contraction does just as much if not more than the heat itself to render the paint flakey. I would brush down to keep flakes from getting to the food.

Comment

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, thanks. I assumed it would help prevent rust but I wasn't sure. Most high heat paints seem to max out at 600 deg C and I would think a firebox would get hotter than that in a typical cook so it seemed kind of pointless.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        MTurney when it comes to painting the outside it's usually best to apply when it is still a little warm and expanded somewhat. That metal sure takes a beating on them fireboxes.

I absolutely would NOT paint the inside of the firebox. Leave it raw steel. @JerodBroussard is correct. I have tried a raft of different hi temp paints and not much lasts longer than 6 months.
      If you are using it all the time and want it to last, rub the firebox with fat from your cooks various times during your cook. It will turn into a super hard cap of carbon.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Definitely not the inside. Fumes would circulate throughout the cook area. Wire brush it, and oil it occasionally as mentioned.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here