Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Safe To Use Firewood That Has Been "Miced" For Smoking/Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all.

I thank you greatly for the comments, suggestions, and especially the laughs.

My friend's woodpile is from a cherry tree that was felded and cut up. He bought approximately between a third and a half of a cord for $240. Because cherry is one of the more precious woods, this subject was quite difficult for him. He didn't want to waste the wood.

The idea of sterilizing the splits via pre-burning is an excellent one, as it should guarantee that any nastiness, and especially embedded urine, is vaporized and removed. He was getting a Breeo X Series fire pit anyway, so he can use that to pre-burn the logs, and use tongs to transfer the pre-burned split to the smoker firebox. He would just need to make sure that the split is completely charred black on the outside before transferring it to the firebox.

Thanks again.

Take care.
    -Z

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the urine on the wood. Not much is going to survive the heat, smoke, and carbon monoxide. I keep pesticides out to keep the mouse population in check, especially around the wood stack. Here if you have mice you will also have rattlesnakes and copperheads trying to eat them. It's a bit unnerving to grab a piece of fire wood and find a rattlesnake under it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here