Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season and Clean a new Lang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season and Clean a new Lang

I have sold one our kids and bought a 36” Hybrid Deluxe. I’ve never had a stick burner or such a nice smoker. I have 2 questions for you Smoking Gurus:

1. What is the best way to season this Lang? I saw Ben Lang use Pam spray. I think Pam makes several varieties and I’m not sure if one is better than another and someone may prefer something other than a spray oil.

2. How do you clean it? I saw Ben Lang spray his with a garden hose which kind of scares me because I would think it would cause it to rust.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

I don't have a Lang but am interested in how much you got for the kid? I have one here and well, its time to start shopping him around.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; August 7, 2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I have watched the Lang videos on seasoning and cleaning, and I don't see a problem seasoning with Pam. But my issue is where I live water freezes outdoors, so using a garden hose is not a very good option. I have taken to cooking without getting the racks dirty. I use either full size or half size disposable aluminum pans with a wire rack over the top of the pan. Good smoke penetration all around and all the drippings are caught in the pan under the wire rack. Sometimes with ribs I smoke on oven liners. If you want that sizzle going on the grate down below, this wouldn't really be an option and I can't really think of a good way to clean it out after a cook without using a garden hose if you're allowing the drippings to go into the bottom of the cooker.

I took a pic of what I wrote above. This is a 13 lb whole packer that I'm smoking right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_130647.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	892504
      Last edited by mrteddyprincess; August 7, 2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Pans work jus fine, I've used em fer decades.

I bought the same pit about 6 months ago and I used original Pam. I don't think it really matters what you use as long as you get something in there. As far as cleaning it, the hose works great for me. I take it to 300 degrees and hit it with the hose and that loosens up any gunk that's in there from the cook. Anything the steam doesn't get can be brushed away easily. The pit is still hot so the water evaporates very quickly, rust hasn't been an issue on the pit itself but the grates are a different story. Those rust very easily but there's no way around that (that I know of). The pit itself is 1/4 inch steel so some rust is inevitable but shouldn't be problematic. Rust on the firebox is what you have to watch out for. When you see it you need to coat it with a quality paint specifically made for hot temps.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy Science, Batman,...

So much work

I jus use bacon grease...

Sorry.
        Not Sorry

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        I spray the grates on my LSG with PAM before every cook. I think that would help keep your grates from rusting.

Thank you for the great comments. There really is a lot to learn to do all this well

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Learnin, each an every day, every cook, is why I come here, each an every day.

I been cookin better than 53 years....

Always new things/ways/devices/techniques are comin along....

Fortunately, they's some Right Talented folks, hereabouts, an they kinda lemme (tolerate me to) hang out, off to th side, if'n I can mostly keep my trap shut, an jus learn me summat...

"Doing it" is the BEST way to learn. Get to cookin' and find the methods that work best for you.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        True Dat.

Clean up in particular on the inside is critical. you have to take a good amount of time and have a good strong pressure via a regular hose, and make sure to clean it out well each time. You'll see how much gunk gets in on the bottom. It's messy so make sure you have it in a space that can get hosed off and have a little grease here and there.

Comment

I have a Jambo and when I got mine I washed the inside with soap & water, dried it with towels and let it dry a day. Seasoned the inside with veg. oil. and fired it up. Ran it for about 4 hours. That’s it.

When I cook in it, I always clean it that day or the next. Scrub the grates with soap & water, wipe down the insides (I use water pans that catch most of the grease) and spot clean where appropriate and vacuum out the fire box. To me the fire box is critical. If the ash does not get removed and by chance gets mixed with water, the slurry becomes caustic and can eat at the metal.

Also, keep your Lang covered. I would assume Knoxville is a bit more wet than So. Cal.

Comment

I have a Shirley reverse flow and seasoned it with cooking spray like Ben Lang recommends in his videos. When brand spanking new I wiped the interior with a rag to clean off any dust or mfg. residue. Did a burn just to heat the interior and another wipe down after it cooled. Then, I applied a coat or two of Pam and brought the cooker up to about 300 deg. F. This coats the metal and helps prevent rust. Similar process used to season cast iron.

To clean it after cooking, you spray it when it's hot so the water evaporates. Use a wire brush to clean the grates and the reverse flow baffle in the cook chamber. Tilt the cooker nose down a little to ensure good drainage of any excess debris dislodged from the hot water spray/scrub. Not much chance of rust because the water evaporates almost instantly. Also, the steam action is cheap entertainment for the kids! : ) Again, this water spray step is after you've seasoned the metal. I imagine you could use whatever oil or fat you'd use to season a cast iron skillet, but I'd recommend something with a high melting point. Don't be afraid of a little water in the cook chamber if the smoker is hot - just keep moisture out of the firebox!

Lang was on my shortlist. Congrats on an awesome smoker! You're cookin' on a Lang...
          Last edited by Beefchop; August 9, 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Great Advice!
            Thank you for taking the time to write and give your great suggestions. Very kind group for sure

Comment

Wowsers...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here