Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Cook for Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight Cook for Brisket

I got a new Lang 48 original patio, loving it so far, still figuring it out. Only gripe is I should have gotten 4 turf wheels, although I will not move much. Beautiful machine. I am still working on clean, clear smoke, cooking with embers.

Has anyone cooked a brisket or anything overnight? I have never done a brisket without wrapping in foil, and want to try no wrapping or butcher paper, extending cooking time. I am considering putting on at midnight, checking at 6am, but fear the 6 hours of sleep. Anyone done it and recommend for or against it? Any learnings on this or brisket in the Lang would be appreciated.

Do you use charcoal in a burn basket? That's the only way I can imagine going an extended time without adding fuel. If I am smoking with charcoal, I will use either my kettle or my PBC. I got my offset in order to smoke with wood.

Are you trying to have it ready by lunch? If so look up the hot and fast method, a lot of people get excellent results. If the brisket is for dinner just start it early in the morning. At 275-300 where mine likes to run, a brisket is usually done in 8-10 hours.

Comment

I’ve had my Lang 36 for about 9 months now and I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving it for 6 hours. It holds temp well but, the best way I’ve gotten a clean fire is to add a half split about every 45 minutes. It cranks out amazing food but it does have to be babysat imo.

Comment

I have the 48-inch patio Lang, and I agree, I'm putting in wood every 45 minutes.

I also am a fan of "hot and fast." I just did a 17 lb brisket yesterday. I put it on at 9 am and it was done by 3 pm for a 2 hr rest. I was cooking 300 to 350 F the whole time, and I never wrapped it.

I don't know of any way you could let an offset go for longer than an hour or so before you'd have to add wood.

Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you want to talk 48 inch Langs!

Comment

Thank you everyone. I have nixed the overnight idea, as I suspected that just is not feasible with a stick burner. I do not want to use charcoal other than to start the fire. I am going to just start early. My briskets have been more of the 9hr cook variety, but I know many cook far far longer than that. There is the shorter power cook school of thought also. I am going to plan for 12 hours minimum including resting, using butcher paper, etc. Wagyu Brisket tomorrow here we come. Salt and pepper only.

Comment

• PBCDad
            PBCDad commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, nice! If it were me, I wouldn't try anything different for a Wagyu brisket, too much on the line to mess it up!
            I've never done one, but from what I've heard, start checking for probe tenderness early. A Wagyu brisket may be done as early as 190 degrees. And make sure you take pictures!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here