Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36” Hybrid Gripe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36” Hybrid Gripe

This arrived a few weeks ago and I’ve noticed a couple of things right off the bat that took me by surprise. It’s uncovered and on the first rain, water seeped into both the smoker and the grill causing pooling in the bottom and rust on the inside of the doors. Before buying I didn’t ask Lang if the doors were water tight because I just assumed they were which is my fault 🤷🏼‍♂️

Did you mean to post pictures? Asking because they aren't showing up.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t but should have. Posting now...

Here’s the rust on the smoker side
    Attached Files

Comment

That stinks

Comment

I wouldn't expect any of those to be water tight. Water always finds a way, similar to the reactivity of Oxygen.

I wouldn't sweat the rust, the rustier my Pit Barrel got the better it cooked.

Comment

I’m with Jerod on this one. It is rough cut metal with no gasket system or anything like that ... plus the stack, while it has a little cap, is still open.... this really shouldn’t be a gripe against Lang.

Heck, even their website pictures show some rust.

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            No you’re right. I shouldn’t be blaming Lang...it’s physics after all haha. I think I was just surprised seeing rust accumulate after one rain even after I coated the inside with oil and ran it at 300 for 5+ hours. Sounds like the more cooks I get on it the better and I just haven’t done enough on it yet 👍

• Nate
            Nate commented
            Editing a comment
            You gotta put some miles on those things! DWCowles has talked about how he has kept his looking nice... if he jumps in he may have some tips.

Spray some (veggie) oil on it. When brand new, BBQ's tend to rust a bit and it can be disconcerting. Once it seasons from a bunch of cooks, the rust will disappear. I'm more worried about rust in the firebox. I have a cookie sheet in my smokers that serves as an ash pan. I keep them pretty clean of ash, especially in the winter. Nothing worse that wet ash for making the firebox bad.

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea I seasoned it with veggie oil and ran it at 300 for about 5 hours but, since it’s new, I haven’t had a chance to do many cooks yet. Great idea on the cookie sheet...thanks so much!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            MTurney - yeah, all of mine have had that rust after bringing them home even after seasoning with oil. If you get a few pork butts in there the neighbors will love you and that fear will be alleviated.

Agree with above. Stat cooking on that thing. A nice layer grease and soot with seal up the cook zone.

Comment

All of the above, plus don't leave it uncovered in the rain. That's so simple even I could come up with it.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! I see what you did there.

• MTurney
              MTurney commented
              Editing a comment
              Ben Lang told me he advises against covering it because covers trap water which will do more harm than just leaving it uncovered

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              MTurney Keeping covers on all the time can trap moisture under and can cause the same problems as being uncovered. Covering during rain will sheet off the rainwater, eliminating the pooling. Taking the cover off when sunny will allow moisture to not accumulate under the cover, and allow evaporation. Even better would be to wheel it into a garage or shelter. If you choose to leave it uncovered, you'll have to take to drying it out after inclement weather.

My offset takes in rain too. But it exits immediately via the grease drain. Is there a grease drain on yours?

Like others say: start cooking on that thing so you grease it up! That super thin layer of surface rust can be scrubbed off with a towel. 2-3 cooks and you will never see that again.

Comment

• MTurney
              MTurney commented
              Editing a comment
              It does have a grease trap but since the ground isn’t perfectly level, water pools up on the low-level side where it can’t escape. The rust doesn’t concern me as much...it’s 1/4” steel. But pooling water is never a good thing imo

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, water pooling up is never a good thing. Aside from getting a cover or similar, is there any way you can tilt it or prop it up so the water runs towards the grease drain? Mine was also leaning/tilting a lot due to uneven ground, but I put some short wooden planks underneath on one side, and that helped.

• MTurney
              MTurney commented
              Editing a comment
              So the issue I’m running into there is on the grill side. Since the air vent is in the middle, the water pools on whichever side is the lower side (I’m probably not explaining that clearly). I’m sure I’m overthinking it and just being paranoid lol 🤪

Some AR Members have posted using these covers. https://www.coversandall.com/

Comment

I keep my Lang under a shelter so l don’t have that problem. If you season it well you shouldn’t have much rust on the inside of it especially after you have a few cooks. The firebox will rust (no way around it) just wire brush the rust off and repaint it with a good heat resistant paint if there is a such thing. Enjoy that Lang!

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                It's good to see you poking your head in here DWCowles . Don't be a stranger!

You should see my Yoder Water won't hurt them babies. Take heart- that small surface rust is nuthin!

Comment

I wish I had a Lang with some rust on it! I thought about taking the proceeds of that PPP loan up to Nahunta and driving back with one but my accountant can't figure out how we can pull that off (legally).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here