Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning a 36” Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning a 36” Hybrid

I recently purchased a 36” Hybrid and was planning on seasoning the inside of the smoker and grill with Pam (per Lang’s instructions). I was thinking of also coating the entire outside of the unit with oil thinking it would help prevent rust but Lang said they advise against that although they didn’t say why. Anyone have any thoughts on coating the outside with oil?

Side Note: I got a quote for a cover from grillwraps.com and it was $539 plus shipping 😳

Congrats, how fun! And welcome to the Pitmaster Club, happy to have you!

I wouldn't. It would likely be messy and unnecessary. They're painted and usually are quite robust. My Yoder is outdoors uncovered 100% of the time, and the cooking chamber, door, etc all look relatively like new (except the thermometers are faded). The firebox will likely age much faster and might show surface rust (but don't worry, surface rust while we don't want to see it, is harmless on such thick metal), but that's due to repeated expansion/contraction from the heat. The firebox door hinges will be the most susceptible to aging fast in my opinion.

Also, I know this is purely personal opinion, but I bought a custom cover from Yoder (not cheap either) and I found when I'd remove the cover that there'd be moisture under it, trapped on the surface of the smoker, so I found my cover to be unnecessary. I began not using the cover since rain and snow will not (and have not) hurt it, and at least this way it dries quicker after the rain instead of condensation getting trapped under the cover. YMMV.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info, really appreciate it! And thanks for the welcome!
      That all makes great sense. The last thing I'd want is to trap moisture under the cover. Thanks again!

No advise on the oil but on the cover
    check out Covers and All: https://www.coversandall.com/?utm_so...ampaign=header
    Got one for my David Klose Grill and it works great and cheaper.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	804378

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      ok thanks so much!

Try Coversandall.. (Covers and All). Bought several custom covers from them and am satisfied with the quality and workmanship. And a lot cheaper than your quote. You would have to measure somethings for them however. Don’t know why Lang doesn’t suggest using some oil on the exterior. Might have to do with the fresh factory paint needing to cure. I know LSG suggests a spray containing a mixture of oil and water on the exterior their products.

Comment

Around this time of year, I see cheap grill covers in the Grocery Outlet stores, etc. around here. We're talking $10 maybe $20 I think. They will not last forever but might be a good option until you find a better deal on a better cover.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        On closer inspection of your grill, the cheap covers I'm talking about might not be big enough.

I have a Gator, and Ritch, the owner says that the firebox will either need touched up from time to time, or you can apply cooking oil to it once it is hot. I guess eventually the oil bakes on so it maintains its black color. I've heard mixed reviews about Pam on some cookers, but if that is what Lang says, I would trust him. Also, instead of oil, Ritch recommends wiping the outside of the cooking chamber with WD-40 instead of cooking oil to keep it looking new. Which makes it easy to lubricate your hinges and wipe down the pit rather quickly.

I keep mine in the garage when not in use, but I've seen many sources supporting Huskee's mention of trapped condensation.

Most importantly, congrats on the new cooker, my friend! Can't wait to see her in action!

Comment

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        great thanks so much!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here