Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat doesn’t taste like it has been smoked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat doesn’t taste like it has been smoked

I have purchased a used 36’’ Lang a few weeks ago and smoked some chicken and pork butts a couple of times and it never taste like it was smoked I have been running with top vent open I always hear about running clean smoke light blue smoke wondering if I should try closing vent some or if anyone has any other ideas of what to try

All wood?

Comment

Lang smoker here. Yes, you want a good, clean fire. Don't put the meat in until the Lang is up to temp and you have good, clean smoke coming out. The best piece of advice I ever got was leave all vents open and build the fire for the temp you want. I can build fires for 250 F or 325 F. Build the fire to create the temp. It takes just a little practice.

Then use the wood that is available in your neck of the woods.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Yes all oak had good even heat vents wide open the chicken I did yesterday had absolutely no smoke taste

Comment

Very odd. Never heard of that.

Comment

I'd put the meat in the freezer when you light the fire. As soon as you get smoke that doesn't resemble a tire burning, put the meat in the smoker and spritz with water. If that doesn't work go see an Otolaryngologist.

Comment

Ok I will try that thanks

Comment

That is odd, I find oak to be very strong tasting but everyone is different.
              Try same meats with a different wood to compare.

Comment

What kind of smoker are you coming off of in using this new (to you) offset? Smoke from charcoal and wood chunks is a good bit different than straight oak mini-splits in my experience. The high air flow in an offset also makes things different than in a kettle or kamado. If smoking chicken at 325, I can see it not having a lot of time to pick up smoke flavor compared to a butt or brisket or ribs.

I can use the same exact fuel in my offset and my kettle+SnS and the results are certainly a little different. The offset due to construction and air flow and size uses about 4-5 times the charcoal and wood chunks. I do tend to use charcoal as the base more than mini splits just due to the fact it reduces how much time I have to tend the fire.
                Last edited by jfmorris; December 14, 2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I had a wsm before the Lang have done ribs also loved them the chicken though you never would have known it was smoked at all

Comment

Does everyone think the food does not have smoke flavor? After a cook the smoke flavor is hard for me to taste but my wife says it taste smoky. Some folk take a shower prior to eating to remove the smoke from themselves.
                    Last edited by jecucolo; December 15, 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                      IowaGirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But the problem is -- you smellin' YOU doused in smoke confuses your nose into thinking your food ain't smokey. If I want to really taste my food after tending 'que, I at least change my shirt, wash my face, and tie my hair back away from my face.

• mrteddyprincess
                      mrteddyprincess commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My smoked meat seems to always taste better the next day to me because I've gotten rid of the smoke smell on my body. Ideally I take a shower after a long smoke and that helps with the flavor of what I cooked when I eat it.

• marshall
                      marshall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i have the same experience , ill pull meat off my smoker after a long cook and my wife says it taste smokey but I cant taste it . then the next day it is perfect

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here